• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i explain migration path to CF 2018, includes windows OS 2016 and Linux 7 platform upgrade

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As technical lead working in an Agile deployment shop. I am having challenges demonstrating that

the upgrading to paralelle Dev /UAT/Prod and External hosting will not work in a phases approach becauseof mixe d env/sync issues.  (timing issues) Needs to happen very quickly.

Can't really upgrade entire dev/decommision, go on to UAT ........

Please let me know if i have lost it.

We will NOT be able to upgrade Dev and expect to promote to UAT/Prod and Hosting server in a phased approach.  New CF 2018 has new Java Version etc. (Code/impact analysis as we documented needs to be done)

Due to our agile deployment methodology. Changes from Cold Fusion get promoted to UAT/Prod and Hosting some times daily. As you stated no Freeze for week or 2 may not be possible. Not to mention

our current way from Interface DB perspective all runs through DEV (No landing server) Again would be mixed Env out of sync, challenges not sure could work.  Linux/Oracle perspective.

We would basically as we vet entire new DEV environment, simultaneously work on new UAT and new Prod and new Hosting and have a planned approach to cutover one weekend.  (Not sure of External Hosting timeline)

Or possibly get through UAT/ look to Prod /Hosting cutover soon after. ( not sure best time frame due to changes) This is what I mean about out of sync code perspective.

Since we have no current GIT / Teams foundation server for code repository. Our Dev server plays part of that role now.

Main concern is if upgraded CF 2018/Java code would work End of life CF 11 patch 14??

thanks to all in advance.

Jose 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This kind of stuff happens on practically every platform, it's not CF-specific. So see how people solve it for other platforms. For example, you could run two staging platforms for a brief period of time, upgrade one of them, use that for performance testing etc (probably not so much UAT), then once you're satisfied you upgrade dev and prod on a rapid basis.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, Txs Dave 

I have completed many software migrations over the years. Unfortunately I’m dealing with multiple software upgrades all at once.  I like approach possibly uat first.  Is their any documentation that coldfusion 2018 and its version java backward compatible v11 ? Not that I would plan or incorporate just curious in case this comes up. We have external hosted web v11 rare code changes. I understand code base needs to be checked

Regardless as you confirmed dev and prod work needs to be completed in parallel to cut those over rapidly. Take care 

jose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jduenas99 : "...approach possibly uat first."

Doing User Acceptance Tests first is always the best strategy. Finding and correcting errors during initial testing saves you from exponentially more work, and more headaches, later on.

"dev and prod work needs to be completed in parallel to cut those over rapidly"

That's OK, as long as your critical path looks something like this:

critical_path.png

"documentation that coldfusion 2018 and its version java backward compatible v11"

First, let's be clear that each ColdFusion version comes with its own Java version. As for the CFML code, you should take it that ColdFusion 2018 is backward-compatible. Not only to ColdFusion 11, but to earlier ColdFusion versions. You don't need documentation for that. You can take it as information from this forum. In fact backward-compatibility is one of ColdFusion's strongest selling-points.

Anyway, ColdFusion doesn't leave it to chance. It includes Code Analyzer, a tool you can use to check whether code is backward-compatible. You will find it in the Debugging section in the ColdFusion Administrator:

code_analyzer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ty for your comments/updates.

Yes critical path looks right. My main concern as noted was an external facing Hosting web also running

CF11. This helps, although as noted will run Analyzer perform testing debugging early on. 

Jose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation