• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How many CF collections are too many?

New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using CF 11 on Windows server 2012 R2. Having the structure of our data we need to use either one really large or about 500 small Solr collections. What are the pros and cons for doing it either way? Is there any guide/reference for the best practices about the number of collections? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have worked briefly with Solr collections under CF9 and CF10.

IMHO, having 500 small collections is better than one large collection, from the user perspective.  The downside being keeping the collections updated/refreshed if the data changes.

One large collection might be prone to becoming corrupted.  I'm not sure.

I am not aware of any guide/reference for number of collections vs one large collection.  I am just speaking from experience.  We have seven Solr collections for PDFs.  They are all slow to refresh because CF has to parse each PDF in order to get the desired texts.  We have over one thousand PDFs, each ranging in size from 1MB to about 4MB (no graphics, it's all text.)

HTH,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! This IS helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation