• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How many instances are recommended for a ColdFusion 2018 license?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a doubt related to the license. I want to know which is the best practice related to instances that can live in a license. I don´t want to affect my actual services performance. Now, my server has 16gb ram, 8 cores, and the Enterprise 2018 license. Thanks for your help. 

TOPICS
Advanced techniques , Documentation , Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a difficult question to answer without more information. The point of running multiple instances is to separate one application from another, so that a failure of one doesn't affect the other. There are two reasons why you might do this. One is to provide redundancy on a single server, so that you have two or more instances all running the same codebase, and perhaps clustered with a single web server (or responding to multiple web servers that are themselves clustered behind a load balancer, etc, etc). The other is to separate different applications - for example, you might have one application that just doesn't run all that well, and when it fails it stops all the other applications from running. Those are two different use cases, and they might make different assumptions about memory use.

But if you don't have either of those use cases, you're probably best served by having a single instance that can address all of the RAM and use all of the CPU that you have available. Modern Java applications are quite capable of doing this, unlike in the "old days" of 32-bit applications. So, just because you can run multiple instances doesn't mean you should.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave!

Thus, Can I have N number of instances per license provided that my instances do not consume the 80% of RAM server. What I understood is that there is no limit of instances related to the best practices, Am I right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can have as many instances as your server can realistically support. In my experience, that's been about five or six. If you have a more robust server you could add more instances than that, even.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi josée27111043,

You asked:

"Can I have N number of instances per license provided that my instances do not consume the 80% of RAM server. What I understood is that there is no limit of instances related to the best practices, Am I right?"

Yes, spot on. But remember that there is a limit to your capacity to manage the instances. So, heed Dave's advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation