Highlighted

How to return cfdocument pdf file and server to the user in the browser?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have function that will generate cfdocument pdf file. Then I would like to return the document and server to the browser. Here is example of the function that generates the pdf file.

<cftry> 
     <cfdocument format="PDF" filename="file.pdf" overwrite="Yes">
          <table>
               <tr>
                    <td>Test</td>
               </tr>
          </table>
     </cfdocument> 
     <cfset local.fnResults = {file: //Here I'm not sure what I should return}> 
     <cfcatch type="any">
          <cfset local.fnResults = {status : 400, message : "Error! Something went wrong."}>
     </cfcatch>
</cftry> 
<cfreturn fnResults>

Function above should genrate the file and return PDF in fnResults structure. Then on serve.cfm I have this logic:

<cfset local.Results = genertePDF()>  
<cfif structKeyExists(local.Results, "FILEPATH")>
     <cfheader name="content-disposition" value="attachment;filename=#local.Results["FILENAME"]#"/> 
     <!---Add the file content to the output stream:--->
     <cfcontent file="#local.Results["FILEPATH"]#" type="application/octet-stream" reset="true"/> 
     <!---Exit immediately after adding the file content to avoid corrupting it:--->
     <cfabort/>
<cfif>

You can ignore the structure of RESULTS since I haven't modified everything. My only problem here is to figure out how to return cfdocument content? If anyone knows how to get this to work please let me know. Thank you.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to return cfdocument pdf file and server to the user in the browser?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have function that will generate cfdocument pdf file. Then I would like to return the document and server to the browser. Here is example of the function that generates the pdf file.

<cftry> 
     <cfdocument format="PDF" filename="file.pdf" overwrite="Yes">
          <table>
               <tr>
                    <td>Test</td>
               </tr>
          </table>
     </cfdocument> 
     <cfset local.fnResults = {file: //Here I'm not sure what I should return}> 
     <cfcatch type="any">
          <cfset local.fnResults = {status : 400, message : "Error! Something went wrong."}>
     </cfcatch>
</cftry> 
<cfreturn fnResults>

Function above should genrate the file and return PDF in fnResults structure. Then on serve.cfm I have this logic:

<cfset local.Results = genertePDF()>  
     <cfheader name="content-disposition" value="attachment;filename=#local.Results["FILENAME"]#"/> 
     <cfcontent file="#local.Results["FILEPATH"]#" type="application/octet-stream" reset="true"/> 
     <cfabort/>
<cfif>

You can ignore the structure of RESULTS since I haven't modified everything. My only problem here is to figure out how to return cfdocument content? If anyone knows how to get this to work please let me know. Thank you.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 24, 2018 0
BKBK LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<cffunction name="generatePDF" >

<!--- Full path of file --->

<cfset local.fnResults.filePath="#expandpath('.')#\myFile.pdf">

<cftry>

<cfdocument format="PDF" overwrite="Yes" filename="#local.fnResults.filePath#" >

<table>

<tr>

<td>Test</td>

</tr>

</table>

</cfdocument>

<cfcatch type="any">

</cfcatch>

</cftry>

<cfreturn local.fnResults>

</cffunction>

<cfset local.Results = generatePDF()>

<cfheader name="content-disposition" value="attachment;filename=#local.Results['FILEPATH']#"/>

<cfcontent file="#local.Results['FILEPATH']#" type="application/octet-stream" reset="true"/>

<cfabort/>

</cfif>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2018 0