• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use Coldfusion9 to send jobs to CUPS for printing a pdf through a network-printer?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working on printing the labels with a particular network printer ( TCP/IP ), when the user click a button on UI.

CUPS is installed but didn't configure the printer yet. Whats the next step, after configuring it in CUPS control panel?

Have no clue on how to get this done!!!

We are using Coldfusion 9.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of what CUPS is, but to print from CF (as in, to print from within a CF page--as opposed to printing from a user's browser) , you would use the CFPRINT tag. See the docs (CFML Reference and also the CF Developer Guide) which each have substantial documentation on how to configure and use that. (You need to install the printer driver on the CF server, and  then need to see that CF has found it, as shown in the "settings summary" page of the CF admin.)

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CUPS is Common Unix Printing System.  I'm not sure how to configure it, but it could be a configuration issue.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use docker( with UNIX distribution  ) , So we had to build the CUPS Image and configure the network printer, I have been looking for information in internet..to send the jobs to CUPS...I haven't found anything, yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For remote printing of PDFs, we initially considered a CF-based solution, but finally went with a Windows program called "WatchDirectory".  We use ColdFusion to perform a on-demand FTP transfer to a remote host (secured using IP restrictions) and the WatchDirectory program automatically monitors a sub-directory and instantly prints the file to a configured printer.  (This solution requires a PC running Windows.)  Using this program also enabled our clients to set up additional automation tasks on their PC without us having to program anything for them.  We've been using this technique for over 10 years and there hasn't been any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's kind of late, but were you aware that CF has the ability that WatchDirectory does?

I've never used it in production, only played around with it, but I've set up automated tasks when a file is uploaded via form post.  Works quite well.  I don't know how much you paid for WatchDirectory, but unless it can do more than what CF can do I couldn't justify the price.

V/r,

^ _ ^

PS..  Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem... I know that ColdFusion Server can monitor a directory, but I'm not going to recommend to my clients that they invest or install ColdFusion/Lucee in order to monitor a directory on their own personal network.  (The files are being printed remotely on a different network entirely.  The only access I have is remotely via FTP where files are uploaded on-demand.)

Regarding WatchDirectory (Windows) functionality, the app is pretty impressive and non-programmers can configure it themselves without much assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LINUX distribution*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation