• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invoke promt for Where Clause

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to have the page prompt for data and use that in a where clause?  ponumber =

????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, the answer is yes. But first can you confirm that you mean to be asking this in the forums for ColdFusion? (Sometimes people ask questions meant for other Adobe forums, so it's worth confirming for your sake.) 

If you do, then can you confirm that you are asking about making a web form that would ask that? 

Finally, is it perhaps that you are not a cfml developer (the language of cf)? Do you come from any other web app server platform, like php? Are you familiar with html already (the language of web forms)?

I ask because what you seek is such a very fundamental thing to do with cf (offer and process web page forms and pass the sql to a db) that while the simple answer to your question is yes, it would seem there's maybe more to the question. Or there's certainly more that could be offered as an answer, depending on where you're coming from.

Simply, if you have a form field called age, you could use that form field in a where like this :

Where age=#form.age#

But then for security it would be recommended to use:

Where age=<cfqueryparam value="#form.age#" cfsqltype="cf_sql_integer" >

Even then, there is more to consider if what you are passing is a string or list, and so on. 

As for the form, it could have a simple text field like:

<input type="text" name="age">

Or there are select fields and more, and then these would be in an html form tag with an action pointing to a cfml page and a method="post". But you can see how the question is broad enough to have many ways to answer it. 🙂 

So share a bit more, or let us know if this was enough. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that I can do it with a form.  I wrote a template which inserts certain reports using urlID.  I am wondering if I can have a box pop up asking for the POnumber and have the page reload and perform the query.   I am thinking javascript, but am wondering if there is a way to do it without a form posting to a page that processes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, via Javascript.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@johng58900177 :  Is there any way to have the page prompt for data and use that in a where clause?  ponumber =

Yes. Here is an example:

<body onload="userInputFuction()">
	<cfif isdefined("form.ponumber")>
		<!--- Sample code --->
		<!---
		<cfquery datasource="testdb" name="q">
			SELECT * 
			FROM users
            WHERE ponumber = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" value="#form.ponumber#">
		</cfquery>
		--->

<!--- Test code --->
		<cfdump var="#form#" label="Submitted form">
	<cfelse>
		<script type="text/javascript">	
			function userInputFuction(ponumber) {
				var ponumber = prompt ("Please enter your ponumber",""); 
			    document.getElementById("poNumberInput").value = ponumber;

document.getElementById("userInputForm").submit();
			}
		</script>
		<cfoutput><form id="userInputForm" method="post" action="#CGI.SCRIPT_NAME#"></cfoutput>
			<input name="ponumber" id="poNumberInput" type="text" ><br>
		</form>
	</cfif>
</body>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation