• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is CF Server Time Managed Separate From Server Time?

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We noticed today that the system time on our server where CF is running was three hours off. The admins fixed the system time, but the time that ColdFusion outputs using its Now() function is still three hours off. Does updating the system time require a CF restart? Could it be that ColdFusion separately manages its time internally once it comes up, unrelated to system time?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Dordrecht, did your admins change the TIME on the server, or the server's time ZONE setting? The latter would make sense, since most systems now rely on an internet time server to know the time. But often their timezone is off and may need to be changed. 

If they did change only the system's time ZONE, then what happened makes more sense. Let me explain. 

To be clear, this is not about cf but the jvm on which cf runs. It defaults to using the system timezone on start, unless (as John noted)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look and see if you have the parameter -Duser.timezone coded on your JVM settings in the CF administrator, that may be overriding your server time zone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John123. We checked for that param and it was not present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although it wasn't our first choice, we opted to reboot the whole server last night after hours, and that fixed the time difference. Although this fixes my issue, I'm not thinking it truly answers the question of why CF differed from the system. Was there a glitch of some kind, or does CF take a snapshot of the system time when it starts up and then manage time separately from the server afterward? I couldn't find anything else online about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dordrecht, did your admins change the TIME on the server, or the server's time ZONE setting? The latter would make sense, since most systems now rely on an internet time server to know the time. But often their timezone is off and may need to be changed. 

If they did change only the system's time ZONE, then what happened makes more sense. Let me explain. 

To be clear, this is not about cf but the jvm on which cf runs. It defaults to using the system timezone on start, unless (as John noted) you DID set the timezone in Java, but you clarify that you did not.

But the issue here is that the jvm does NOT auto-detect your changing the os time ZONE once the jvm (cf) running. (It WOULD have detected if you'd changed the server TIME, but you did not, right? just the timezone?)

And so yes, resarting only cf would have fixed things, as did the box reboot. 

Finally, as for your not finding more on this on the web, that may be so if you searched relative to cf. But if you search relative to java instead, a first result could have been this SO exchange (about the same issue in Tomcat), where one guy addresses the point in excessive detail (which is saying something, coming from me!):

https://stackoverflow.com/a/49121103

Hope my clarification helps.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That answer seems highly likely. I marked this as the correct answer, and will update it if I find that the time rather than the zone was altered on the server.

Thanks Charlie! It looks like you came through again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, and I'd look forward to that confirmation, either way. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. 🙂 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation