• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for right software combo

Contributor ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reasons that don't require advice to upgrade to newer software, I'm trying to install an older version of CF server coupled with Coldfusion Studio. I'm doing this on a VM. 

I got CF5 / CF Studio 4.5.2 installed under Windows XP. But, WinXP is, as far as I can tell, unusable with only spotty access to the internest and, worst of all, IIS allows the creation of only one website.

So, I created a VM running Windows Vista, assuming it was old enough to run the CF combo I described above. But, it turns out that CF5 is incompatible with Vista. Won't install.

So, given my stated goals, what operating system and what version of CF Server do I need to install? I could use Homesite or Homesite+ instead of CF Studio. So I'm not locked in on that. My problem with later operating systems is that the other software I want to use gets buggy under Windows 7 and unusable under anything later than that.

Many thanks,

John

TOPICS
Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I get that xp and Vista don't work for you, and we might ask if you had tried windows 98, but I suppose you are not wanting to go backwards that way (same problem with iis).

And perhaps one could propose workarounds for that iis issue, or alternative web servers.

But  really maybe this will better suit your needs. It seems very encouraging for your situation:

http://blog.adamcameron.me/2013/04/installing-coldfusion-5-yeah-thats-not.html

Let us know if that works out for you.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack, I thought that the link I shared would get you just what you need, running instead on Vista. I see you still pursuing things on XP with Dave below. Did the steps in the link not prove to be the solution I'd hoped?

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much, Charlie. My initial goal was to run two work processes from years ago on the same server. Vista broke the software for one of those processes. So, not finding the overlap I'd hoped for, I'm sticking with the Win XP VM for one process, and I've set up the web site part of it with modern tech on Win 10. 

As the Stones said, "You can't always get what you want."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CF 5 should work with Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003, I think. Of course, that was a long time ago so I'm not entirely sure. I'm not sure why you'd have problems getting Windows XP to connect to the internet from a VM, it's worked for me and I've done that quite a few times.

There is a free utility that will let you run more than one site in the Windows XP version of IIS, if I recall correctly. I don't know if it'll let you run them simultaneously, though.

http://www.it-notebook.org/iis/article/multiple_websites_xp.htm

There's also a way to patch Windows so that you can run multiple sites in Windows XP! Note: I haven't actually tried this.

https://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/windows/iis/multiplewebsites.htm

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. The problem (perhaps, better put, a problem) with Win XP is that it includes IE 6.0. Whether it's the browser or some Windows settings, the ability to access the web is spotty. I can get to a number of sites, but when I try to drill down, I get access errors. I've tried installing newer browsers, but I can't. 

I installed a VM running Vista, and I have no problems with internet access there. Maybe a bad install of XP? I dunno. Thanks for your willingness to help.,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would download the stub installer for Chrome or IE 11 or whatever onto your host machine, then copy the files to the VM through a shared drive or manually via USB or whatever works for you. Most VM software lets you set up a shared drive for your VMs.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation