• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maintain sessions during restart on CF10

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure I've missed something. Is there a how to on what needs to be changed to maintain sessions during a restart of the server?

I've read Charlie Areharts presentation regarding this and he mentions that an  understanding of Tomcat is helpful but I have found nothing that describes  changes needed in Tomcat with a standard CF deployment.  I added a file name to the Manager element in the XML file for CF

Appreciate any help with this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely, it is impossible to maintain sessions during a restart of the ColdFusion server. At some point in the process, the server shuts down, and all current sessions are lost. When it restarts, it creates new session IDs that are different from any it created before. It may also be that I miss something in my understanding of your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK wrote:

Surely, it is impossible to maintain sessions during a restart of the ColdFusion server. At some point in the process, the server shuts down, and all current sessions are lost. When it restarts, it creates new session IDs that are different from any it created before. It may also be that I miss something in my understanding of your question.

From the " Installing Adobe Coldfusion 10" pdf page 20;

Enabling persistent session

To persist a session after a Tomcat restart, do the following:

1 Open the cfroot\cfusion\runtime\conf\context.xml file.

2 Uncomment the Manager pathname node.

Note: Flex sessions are not persisted after a Tomcat restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, the picture is clearer. Maintaining sessions in this way is a feature of Tomcat, rather than of ColdFusion. Therefore, when you talk of server, you strictly imply Tomcat and will have to do the configuration in Tomcat.

If you open the file cfroot\cfusion\runtime\conf\context.xml, you will find that said element, <Manager pathname="" />, is uncommented by default. That means that, by default, sessions are not persisted after Tomcat restarts. This fits in well with ColdFusion's own standard behaviour regarding sessions persisting after a restart: they don't.

Nevertheless, the ColdFusion documentation is rather confusing on this point. It misses the crucial point, namely, that, by default, Tomcat implements session persistence across restarts. When you create the configuration file \conf\context.xml and add the element <Manager pathname="" /> to it, you effectively disable session persistence across restarts. For more, see this Tomcat documentation.

You may find this Stackoverflow thread on session persistence useful. Having perused the subject and done some tests, I would advise you to use this form of session persistence with caution. I wouldn't yet include it in the software of a life-support machine. Like most of ColdFusion's newly integrated functionalities, it has yet to be extensively tried and tested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation