• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge query or cfset data with word docx or doc and download the updated version

Participant ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a word docx named coded_word.doc that is coded (written)  like this

%COURTESY_TITLE% %FIRST_NAME% , %LAST_NAME%

Dear %COURTESY_TITLE% %LAST_NAME%,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have cf code like this

<!---Read the file--->

<cfset mydoc= FileRead("#GetDirectoryFromPath(GetCurrentTemplatePath())#coded_word.docx") />

<!---Replace the coded variables in he word doc withthese values. These ultimately will be from a query result--->

<cfset mydoc= Replace(rtf,"%COURTESY_TITLE%","Mr.") />

<cfset mydoc= Replace(rtf,"%FIRST_NAME%","Charles") />

<cfset mydoc= Replace(rtf,"%LAST_NAME%","Jones") />

<!---Then download the modified file--->

<CFHEADER NAME="content-disposition" VALUE="attachment; filename=mydoc_updated.doc">

<cfcontent type="application/vnd.ms-word" file="#GetDirectoryFromPath(GetCurrentTemplatePath())#mydoc_updated.doc">

But when I do I get the original word doc. I don't get  mydoc_updated.doc.

I want to merge/replace the %variable% with actual/set values and need the updated version mydoc.doc to download like this

Mr. Charles Jones

Dear Mr. Jones

QUESTIONS

1. Do I have the coding correct in the word doc?
  2. Do I need to save and rename the new file before downloading?
  3. Can I use .docx extension or does that create additional issues as I probably can't use <cfcontent type="application/vnd.ms-word" ?
  4. I need the original coded_word.doc to stay the same as it is a template that I'll need for the next query result.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

weezerboy  wrote

QUESTIONS

1. Do I have the coding correct in the word doc?

Probably not. You're reading mydoc in, but replacing in rtf.

In any case, be aware that ColdFusion is reading and storing mydoc as a binary. So you just can't replace strings within it.

2. Do I need to save and rename the new file before downloading?

Not necessarily. But this question is irrelevant, as you have to address the others first.

3. Can I use .docx extension or does that create additional issues as I probably can't use <cfcontent type="application/vnd.ms-word" ?

The extension .docx is fine, assuming you have a recent version of ColdFusion. However, its MIME type is application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document.

4. I need the original coded_word.doc to stay the same as it is a template that I'll need for the next query result.

It may not be as simple as that. As you can see, the MIME type hints at XML. (To demonstrate, extract the docx as a zip file) .You might have to decompose the docx into its XML constituent parts, make the replacements, then recompose the result ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation