Highlighted

Multiple application pools for ColdFusion possible in the same IIS website?

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to set up a single website with CFM11 under IIS8.5

In this website there are several CFM applications, each under a different "Application" subfolder. For security purposes, monitoring and separate maintenance shutdowns per application, these would all need their own "application pool".

However, this means that these applications should run under a different application pool than their website root node. In IIS this causes a 403.18 exception:

HTTP Error 403.18 - Forbidden

The specified request cannot be processed in the application pool that is configured for this resource on the Web server.

Most likely causes:

•An ISAPI filter or custom module changed the URL to run in a different application pool than the original URL.

•An ISAPI extension (or custom module) used ExecuteURL (or ExecuteRequest) to run in a different application pool than the original URL.

•You have a custom error page that is located in one application pool but is referenced by a Web site in another application pool. When the URL is processed, it is determined by IIS that that it should have been processed in the first application pool, not the other pool.

•The Web site has multiple applications configured. The application this request is configured to run in is set to run in an application pool that does not exist.

All works fine if the "applications" in the subfolders run under the same application pool as the website root. However that is not my preferred setup... The behaviour is consistent over all CFM-applications that I deploy, no matter how simple they are...

Two questions:

- is coldfusion actually looking to "higher" folders than I expect it to? (and can that be avoided)

- any hints or experiences on how to avoid / solve this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Multiple application pools for ColdFusion possible in the same IIS website?

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to set up a single website with CFM11 under IIS8.5

In this website there are several CFM applications, each under a different "Application" subfolder. For security purposes, monitoring and separate maintenance shutdowns per application, these would all need their own "application pool".

However, this means that these applications should run under a different application pool than their website root node. In IIS this causes a 403.18 exception:

HTTP Error 403.18 - Forbidden

The specified request cannot be processed in the application pool that is configured for this resource on the Web server.

Most likely causes:

•An ISAPI filter or custom module changed the URL to run in a different application pool than the original URL.

•An ISAPI extension (or custom module) used ExecuteURL (or ExecuteRequest) to run in a different application pool than the original URL.

•You have a custom error page that is located in one application pool but is referenced by a Web site in another application pool. When the URL is processed, it is determined by IIS that that it should have been processed in the first application pool, not the other pool.

•The Web site has multiple applications configured. The application this request is configured to run in is set to run in an application pool that does not exist.

All works fine if the "applications" in the subfolders run under the same application pool as the website root. However that is not my preferred setup... The behaviour is consistent over all CFM-applications that I deploy, no matter how simple they are...

Two questions:

- is coldfusion actually looking to "higher" folders than I expect it to? (and can that be avoided)

- any hints or experiences on how to avoid / solve this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 23, 2014 0
Enthusiast ,
Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the steps you need to follow:

When you create connector for your ColdFusion 11 website, you get the “Jakarta” as virtual directory added under your website in IIS. If you don't then add 'jakarta' as virtual directory in your website.

You need to right click on “Jakarta” folder and click on “Convert to Application”.

1.jpg

Select the new Application Pool of the Application (say Test) added under website (CF 11)

2.jpg

Click OK. Restart IIS.

NOTE :  You need not to restart IIS as well however if you still face the issue after following the above steps then try to restart IIS.

HTH

Thanks

VJ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2014 1
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer, it got me a bit closer...

As you point out, the (single) application works if it runs in the same pool as jakarta (which indeed must be changed to an application).

However, my scenario is more or less like this:

--+ website root [pool_root]

|- appl_one [pool_one]

|- appl_two [pool_two]

|- appl_three [pool_three]

|- jakarta [pool_one] -> as per your recommendation

If I set jakarta to [pool_one], my appl_one application will work. However, my appl_two and appl_three do not and are stuck on the same error 403.18.

My attempt is to have all app_* run in their won application pool...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2014 0
Enthusiast ,
Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jadr wrote:

My attempt is to have all app_* run in their won application pool...

I believe you mean "own" application pool?

Let me test the same.

Thanks
VJ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2014 0
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for that, I indeed mean "My attempt is to have all app_* run in their own application pool..."

Have you had any luck with that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2014 0
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been struggling with this for hours and getting jakarta and my app in the same pool got it working.

Thank you VJ!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2015 0
Explorer ,
May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

Were able to get this setup to work?  Did it require something special?  I have someone looking to do the same and we are getting the 403 error.  I believe it is due to the jakarta app pool being different then the target app pool.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2016 0
New Here ,
May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never got this working. They all had to go in on big application pool, unlike the asp.net applications. This means you cannot have a common root with other technologies, while isolating their individual applications.

That's very inconvenient e.g. in case of maintenance, security & to balance things, so if anyone comes up with a way to do this, I'll be happy to hear about it.

The best thing we could do without too much "hokus pokus" was to separate our cfm applications to another subdomain/host-header (new dns/url's!) and put them all together in a single application pool. In a way the problem remains, but it remains isolated amongst CFM-applications.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 24, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an expected behaviour since CF10. jakarta can only be assigned to one app pool only, if there are multiple applications within the same site. This is a tomcat limitation.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 24, 2016 0