• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need advice: Create a simple SMS for communicating between those in office and those telecommuting

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

I've been tasked to create a simple SMS system that we can use in office to keep in real-time contact with those working from home.  Any ideas/suggestions?

I don't think we need/want anything that would require maintaining a connection.  Heck, the boss even suggested using polling to update communications (although I kind of balk at that idea.)  Although if maintaining a connection (having a state vs stateless) is easier/better, I'd be all about it.

V/r,

^  _ ^

TOPICS
Advanced techniques , Asynchronous , Builder , cfchart , Cffiddle , Connector , Database access , Documentation , Event gateways , Flash integration , Getting started , Monitoring , Reporting , Security , Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Well, SMS implies text messaging. Is that what you mean? CF has no built-in mechanism for that. (It has an SMS event gateway, added in CF7, but it is for integration with an SMS system you would pay for, not one that CF provides. And since that 2003 era, there are of course otehr ways to integrate with anything, such as that, like with REST, and more.)

Indeed, you later mention a polling app, and in reply to that I would have asked if you'd considered websockets, a feature added to CF11 and th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, SMS implies text messaging. Is that what you mean? CF has no built-in mechanism for that. (It has an SMS event gateway, added in CF7, but it is for integration with an SMS system you would pay for, not one that CF provides. And since that 2003 era, there are of course otehr ways to integrate with anything, such as that, like with REST, and more.)

Indeed, you later mention a polling app, and in reply to that I would have asked if you'd considered websockets, a feature added to CF11 and that is surprisingly simple and effective as an alternative to any client polling/pull mechanism.

If you google coldfusion websockets, you will find plenty to get you started, from Adobe and others. Let us know if you are open to it or somehow unable to use that.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you google coldfusion websockets, you will find plenty to get you started, from Adobe and others. Let us know if you are open to it or somehow unable to use that."

Thanks, Charlie.  Again, I think we were typing at the same time. LOL!  I'll do a Google search for that and see what pops up.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have been more precise in my request.  I'm looking to create a CF version of, say, Lync (aka Skype for Business.)  Just sending small text messages that will be picked up by anyone who logs on (using a CAC and reader) in real-time.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have developed an application that processes text messages received via a gprs modem to perform certain searches and then replies to the sender of the message using a paid SMTP service, is this what you are looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, gianlucam,

Thank you for the offer/suggestion, but that is not what I am looking for.  If you've ever used Lync, also known as Skype For Business, that's what I'm trying to make.  Just a simple dialog that when opened and logged on to will list everyone who is logged on and allow the user to send short text messages that will appear in the other user's dialog.  Simplest version would be everyone sees every message that anyone enters, which is fine.  But if I wanted to get complex, then offer the ability to privately message a chosen user.  It would use a central server, but peer-to-peer could also work.  This will not be sending messages to cell phones, just to those who are authenticated on the network.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok now i've uderstood 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, have you investigated cf's websockets feature? It's specifically suited to what you want to do. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Charlie,

I did do a Google search on ColdFusion websockets, and while I did not delve deeply into it, it does appear to be precisely what I should be researching and playing around with to get this up and running.  Thanks!

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation