• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OCR - w/ColdFusion

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone attempted to perform OCR with CF? I have been tasked with extracting the text from a faxed image file (TIF).   Are there any open source OCR APIs to integrate with CF? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Google Cloud Vision API can extract text from an image or PDF file. 

https://cloud.google.com/vision/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rbuong, that is neither open-source, nor ColdFusion.

armandof44358221​, I did a quick Google search, and found a blog entry from 2009 that might get you started on the right path.

http://coldfusion.sys-con.com/node/1173727

HTH,

^ _ ^

UPDATE:  Okay.. it's not CF, but it is an API that can be used from CF (ColdFusion or ColdBox).  However, it is a commercial API, and not free.  You will be charged anywhere from US$1.50 to US$3.50 per 1,000 API calls, depending on what you are trying to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will likely not find a free OCR platform out there.

However my company wrote a Coldfusion and Java integration for Google Cloud Vision (also referenced above). You would obviously still need to pay for the usage on Cloud Vision

https://github.com/Construction-Monitor/coldfusion-vision-api

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also as a note, you mention you have TIF images, as far as I am aware you can't send TIF images in directly, so you would need to convert them to JPEG first. My recommendation for that would be to fall back to command line tools like GraphicsMagick as their performance is much better then Coldfusion's built in image tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Daniel,

I went ahead and purchased an SDK and combined with a DLL I created to communicate with CF in which converts image to text via the CFOBJECT. Thanks for your input .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds pretty sweet.  Any chance we could convince you for details, just to help anyone else that might have this same requirement? 

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure .. once I get it going and in production I'll put up the Visio and some details...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much appreciated.  I'm eager to see how you did it.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what worked for me:

Download tesseract ocr, it's free and open-source:  https://tesseract-ocr.github.io/tessdoc/Downloads.html

Then in cfscript:

public function ocr(FilePath) {
    ocrtext = "";
    cfexecute(
        name=full_tesseract_filepath
        arguments="""" & FilePath & """ stdout"
        variable="ocrtext",
        timeout="10"
        );
    return ocrtext;
}

Note:  full_tesseract_filepath is usually "C:\Program Files\Tesseract-OCR\tesseract.exe" on windows machines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops:  missing a few columns on that function call, it should be:

cfexecute(
    name=full_tesseract_filepath,
    arguments="""" & FilePath & """ stdout",
    variable="ocrtext",
    timeout="10"
);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Note that to avoid clumsy double quotes and concatenation you can change the arguments parameter syntax to the following:

arguments='"#FilePath#" stdout',

It's easier to read. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation