• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Patching CF2016 from update 8 to 16 - Spinning Icon in web browsers IIS Connectors

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multimple issues here.  Env is Windows 2016 (VM) with CF 2016

Issue #1 wsconfig reporting "all the iis sites are already configured by some other version of coldfusion"
Details:

• There has never been another version of CF on this specific server.  Was Built with CF 2016.
  • Restored server back to patch 8 once (Via full Comvaut harddrive  restore) and issue was present with patch 8.
  • Followed manul config guide to remove all configs from IIS at patch level 8.  Also used notepad++ to search .config files, found a few hidden ones which the IIS UI did not pull out.
  • Renamed the wsconfig folder to a copy.
  • Patched back to update 16 from 8.
  • Wsconfig would still not see the websites.
  • Added a new temp website, wsconfig would not see that one either.
  • Followed the manual config guide, building a new wsconfig folder.
  • After, CFIDE from IIS showed 403 errors from IIS, but worked on port 8500 directly.
  • Followed some guide on this, turned out it was the connector needing password, is not part of the manual config guide.
  • Changed worker config for that password whch was a GUID and still did not fuction.  Set my own password on both side.  That woked.  Got me to Issue #2 place.

Issue #2 CFIDE works on port 8500, but from IIS the browser just show a spinning icon, and cannot load page.

Details:

• Checked logs, request from 8500 show up in http.log, but does not from IIS.
  • No Windows events showing up.
  • Checked security for app pool and CF service to both coldfusiuon folder, and app folders, even though these worked at patch 8.
  • Attempted to reuse wsconfig,jar manualy to remove and then readd a site via command line with verbose options.   This crashed with an InvalidIndexException. Suspect wsconfig.exe is hiding that the JAR version is actualy crashing?
  • Attempted to serve up a static file in the CF app path and same symptoms as index.cfm page of CFIDE.

At this point, I am stumped.  Nothing i have done folowing the guides has gotten wsconfig to work again on thsie server, nor does the manual config option seem to be working.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Issue #1 and part of #2 was caused by a corrupted site definitaion in IIS.  When running wsconfig.jar manualy via command line, the InvalidIndexException was the hunt.  Using wsconfig wiht -list option also got the same crash.  

At that point poked around with other tools that listed out the sites.  Found that running Powershell command get-websites  would produce a list, but the corrupted site had a null (blank) status.  Neither Stopped or Started like it should of been.  Soon as that site was

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darren, you've been a trouper to document your steps in such detail. I doubt anyone will have the one thing you're missing, though I could be wrong. 

But clearly something is missing. There are a lot of variables to consider, especially relative to what you may or may not have done. Too many to list in reply and go over in detail. One thing found could lead to a different other to consider.

I will say this: if you're needing it solved, I'm pretty confident I would be able to sort it out, and likely in one relatively quick session. You would not have to pay if I don't.

I realize you may not want to pay for help at all. Maybe someone will connect a dot for you here. If we met (online, via screenshare), you'd see all I do and what I may see/do that you did not (and may not have relayed).

If you're interested, you can grab a slot from my online calendar, at https://calendly.com/carehart. If you're not motivated enough to pay for help, however brief it could be, I'll understand. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darren, did you solve things?

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Issue #1 and part of #2 was caused by a corrupted site definitaion in IIS.  When running wsconfig.jar manualy via command line, the InvalidIndexException was the hunt.  Using wsconfig wiht -list option also got the same crash.  

At that point poked around with other tools that listed out the sites.  Found that running Powershell command get-websites  would produce a list, but the corrupted site had a null (blank) status.  Neither Stopped or Started like it should of been.  Soon as that site was deleted, wsconfig started working again.

Issue #2 took a bit to get working after wsconfig was operation, in the end, it wnt back to password on connectors, and had to revert to the original GUID password first assigned.  Good this i had commented that out and then changed diplicated line instead of just changing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation