Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

POI Temp files in Windows

New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am upgrading to CF 2018 from CF 9.

In CF 9 I run the Coldfusion services under a local Windows user I create specifically for the Coldfusion services.  In Windows the c:\users\<CF Username>\AppData \Local\Temp\poifiles directory gets filled with thousands of poi-ooxml--<some number>.tmp files. Nothing in CF cleans these up and after discovering them by accident and having to clean up hundreds of thousands of these leftover files, I have one question: will this same thing happen in CF 2018?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I never heard of this behaviour. ColdFusion in my case typically runs under a Windows service account. I have no idea if this has a temp folder.

I googled the term "poifiles" and found a thread: https://answers.sap.com/questions/10661163/index.html

The 'poifiles' folder are used to store apache poi temporary files, which are generated for MS Word and Excel document processing. Thes files are usually automatically deleted during the JVM close

No idea if this is true, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every account or security context (used by Windows services running as "local service" or "local system" or "network service" or whatever) has a temp directory, because any process that's run has the potential to need temp space. For example, on my Windows 10 laptop the "Local Service" security context has a temp directory here:

%Windir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp

In fact, it has basically the same stuff that any user profile would have, like a desktop, a Documents folder, and so on. Who knew? I don't know what that stuff is needed for, to be honest.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the replies!

I had to change the account as I needed to access files on a Windows share on another machine.

The article in the link provided by Bardnet suggests that these files go away with a jvm restart. That is not the case with my situation.

It's quite possible that CF 2018 and the latest java version will fix this. However, I'm looking for something that can definitively answer that question if possible. If not, I guess I'll just find out with additional testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation