• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The connection was reset" errors ColdFusion 10

Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've searched net and Adobe forums before creating the thread. We have webserver using ColdFusion 10 and IIS 7.5, we are trying to retore our ColdFusion website on it. We are getting following errors:

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection was reset.

on some of the pages. The website is not live now so in order to access it you should modify your hosts file using the line : 198.61.145.21 6figurejobs.com www.6figurejobs.com .

The errror will occur when you try to go to any of the companies in Featured compamies section. example:

http://6figurejobs.com/company/Deloitte

http://6figurejobs.com/company/Rain-Bird-Corporation

etc.

More problem pages:

http://6figurejobs.com/Career-News/Information-Technology/How-women-can-make-an-impact-in-the-IT-ind...

http://6figurejobs.com/Career-News/Healthcare/Healthcare-adds-jobs-in-August-$100001332-438039511.ht...

etc.

I assume this is ColdFusion/IIS settings thread? Could someone assist us with the errors? I would be beyond grateful for any help/advise.

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Connector

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you installed the latest hotfix (Hotfix 3) that just came out yesterday?  There were some IIS connector issues that were fixed in it.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl,

I will update ColdFusion now and report you if the issues are not resolved.

Thanks!

________

Well i get:

"Error occurred while installing the update:

Failed Signature verification"

Any advise?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have not manually downloaded and installed the mandatory hotfix (http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/coldfusion-10-mandatory-update, http://www.adobe.com/support/coldfusion/downloads_updates.html) yet, you will need to do so before you will be able to download and install any updates in CF Administrator.

-Carl V.

Message was edited by: Carl Von Stetten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl,

I've installed all updates (mandatory, 1-3) and it have not resolved the issue. Any advise?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick Google search on "Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET)" seems to indicate an issue with Proxy settings on your internet connection.  Check if you have proxy turned on.  Some other solutions were to run the following in a command prompt (launch the command prompt as Administrator):

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

The majority of the Google search hits seemed to apply specifically to Chrome, so if that is the browser you are using, try Internet Explorer or Firefox just to verify it isn't a Chrome issue.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl,

I have tried your solutions, restarted the server and the problem still exist on different browsers Chromiumn, Firefox (Ubuntu), Chrome, Firefox, Safari (Windows). I have excluded browser issue firstly before I have created thread here. I assume this is something about IIS or ColdFusion settings (I've tried to increase JVM Heap Size, WebSocket MaxDataSize, etc. - tried to inrease everything - but nothing helped.) Any more ideas? I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the error from IIS or Tomcat?  Can you tell?  Also, have you checked the Windows Event Viewer and the IIS error logs to see if there are any corresponding errors?

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another common issue on Google seems to be Anti-Virus software.

Also, have you tweaked any of the IIS Application Pool settings such as recycling settings or timeouts?

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl,

I will check the IIS logs and get back to you with results. No, I have not changed anything in IIS yet.

One addition, the odd behaviour of problem pages on different browsers (Firefox) some times the page is loading and server return 200 statuses but it is completely blank, when you are trying to refresh it it returns connection reset error. After ColdFusion service restart first time one of the problem pages loading in any browser but if you try to access other or the same page again - connection reset.

Important note - ither pages of the website loading without any issues in any time from any browser, the problem is only with few pages.

No anti-virus is installed on the server, though server is behind Firewall (external).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl,

IIS logs do not give any errors. Another strange issue when I view source code of uploaded page (in Firefox when I get 200 ok message from server) while generating the code of the very same page it randomly stops in different parts of the code. So what I can see is not fully loaded source code of the page. Some times it returns partially loaded page (I can see logo of the website) some times it breaks on 'head' section. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you're using the latest isapi connectors. After CF updates one is meant to run the Web Service Config Tool to update the connectors. 

You can confirm it by opening C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config and making sure that all the wsconfig\X references point to the highest numbered folder in C:\ColdFusion10\config\wsconfig\  - which should be greated than 1 .. it's probably 3.

You can also open up C:\ColdFusion10\config\wsconfig\wsconfig.log to check whether there would any issues during the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for advise, I'm using the last isapi connector (I just checked it - 1.2.32.0), I have tried to downgrade it to 1.2.31.0 - Coldfusion administrator failed to load. I just checked the

Server Settings > Request Tuning page and the problem is that I can not edit following:

Maximum number of simultaneous Flash Remoting requests

Maximum number of simultaneous Web Service requests

Maximum number of simultaneous CFC function requests

There are just blank fields in front of them and I can not edit the values. Could someone please tell me where in ColdFusion configd I can edit these values?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those fields cannot be changed if you are running ColdFusion Standard Edition.  They can only be changed when running Enterprise Edition (or Developer Edition).

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. And could you please tell me what are default values for these

fields in ColdFusion Standard Edition ?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Carl Von Stetten <forums_noreply@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since they are blank in Standard I'm not sure.  The Adobe docs don't specify what the underlying values are (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/10.0/Admin/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cbf3638e6-7ffc.html#WSe...).  I submitted a comment on the docs asking for those values.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your assistance!

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Carl Von Stetten <forums_noreply@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MBudaev, did you follow the suggestion offered by byrning in comment 11 above (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4782667#47826

While the updater does not tell you, the technote for the updater DOES tell us that we need to re-configure the web server connector after applying the update.

And if this is on Windows 2008 (or 7), let me share a tip that it's important that you run that as admin, meaning, use Start>Programs>Adobe>ColdFusion and then right-click on the "Web Server Configuration Tool" and choose "run as admin". Otherwise, you may find that its interface "works", and you remove and re-add connections, but things still don't "work" because the changes didn't really take under the covers.

It would also be wise to restart both IIS and CF10 after applying the change in the web server config tool.

Let us know if that helps.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more comment. First, perhaps I should have given the link to that technote: http://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/coldfusion-10-update-3.html

Second, I should note that it's understandable that we (those of us applying the Updater) through the CF Admin auto-hotfix mechanism might not be compelled to read the technote about an updater. An argument could certainly be made (and has been made by some) that this should be either clarified or even offered during the updater. See comments in the blog entry on the updater, specifically:

http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/coldfusion-10-update-3-released#comment-1C003E9C-E5AF-951A-3227...

and
http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/coldfusion-10-update-3-released#comment-31617920-A952-3037-544E...

Third, i just noticed that the technote talks about doing the web server config tool from the command line (which is indeed always another option). But in that case, my observation about being sure to "run as admin" still applies: this time, when you open the command prompt. Use Start>Accessories and then right-click on "Command Prompt" to "run as admin".

I do so wish that any Adobe references to these matters did make that point more clear.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having recently upgraded to cf10 standard, I've also hit a bit of a wall with what seems to be an iis 7 connector issue.

I'm running the updater 5, with correctly configured connector for that update, and IIS redirected 404 pages intermittently fail - about a 90% failure rate.

An example page is http://www.currentlyoffline.co.nz/servercheck

The setup here is IIS sees a 404, and the error page is set in IIS to 'Execure a URL on this site" being a .cfm file in the root dir of the site.

The IIS - > CF redirect works perfectly, I can log CF handling the request, the issue is that 90% of the time the request never makes its way back to the browser - generally receiving 'Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection was reset'

I'm going to guess that this is another as yet unfixed bug in the connector, has anyone else seen such a problem / have any idea how to fix it?

Additional info:

The debug mode on the connector showed nothing exciting - the only error in there seems unrelated time wise but is:

[error] HttpExtensionProc::jk_isapi_plugin.c (2314): failed to init service for request.

I've also tried turning off the buffering in the connector - had no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can concur I know of a user hitting this, who has also applied Updater 5 and confirmed it’s installed, as well as the web connector reconfigured and updated, and gets the same problem with 404’s. We’ve noticed as well that the failure rate depends on the browser: Chrome got about 90%, FF got about 20%, but it would always fail at least a couple times in 10 test requests, so that’s not a theoretical 20% but actual.

If it may help anyone from Adobe to study this, we also observed that with Chrome the error detail was “err_incomplete_chunked_encoding”, and further with the Chrome Dev tools we could see in the headers that the response header (from CF/IIS) indicated it receiving a header of:

transfer-encoding="chunked"

I didn’t get to notice if that was typical of all requests, or only of those responded to when an IIS 404 handler was passing the requests to CF, or if perhaps only on failing requests for such. Maybe someone else with this problem will be able to confirm either way.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool, i've lodged it with adobe at bugbase.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3368804

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know anything more about this issue? I am still experiencing issues with my custom 404 page in IIS7.5. The rest of my files seem to load just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had my own workaround which may be of some use to you http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15125471/problems-handling-404-errors-in-coldfusion-10-on-win2k8-...

Hope it helps

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Martin, Rob, and others raising issues in this thread about IIS 404 custom handler issues, here’s some great news: this bug is addressed in the most recent CF10 update that came out this week, update 11.

See http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/coldfusion-10-update-11-an-update-with-50-fixes. It only mentions it in passing ("8. Web Container/Tomcat - CGI.server_port, IIS custom error handlers"), but it is there. And while the bug report referenced above by Aaron (3488063) has not been marked as fixed, another one that seems the same issue (3488063) has indeed been marked as fixed with this update.

But let me offer a word of warning to those who may apply the fix, and report that they are finding the problem not fixed in CF10:

Please note that you MUST either update or rebuild the web connector for IIS after update 11. For more on that, see http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/coldfusion-10-does-the-connector-need-to-be-re-installed-for-update-11.

More specifically, if you look at the coldfusion10\config\wsconfig\[nn\ folder (where nn is a number, of which folders you have more than one), and your isapi_redirect.dll is not dated in May 2013, then you have NOT yet done the needed update and will still seem to have the problem.

And be sure to update all of them, if you have more than one such folder under wsconfig. If after doing that, and restarting IIS perhaps, if you are still having the problem, then do report back at the bug report confirming that. Perhaps there may be something else to explain it, but we'd want to rule this issue out first.

This is just like what happened with CF10 updater 5. Many didn’t think to do the web connector upgrade (there you had to rebuild it, here you could just update it if you want, as discussed in the first blog entry link I shared here.) But if you don’t do either, and you still have an old isapi_redirect.dll, then you will still suffer problems despite having applied the CF10 update.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation