• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sending text messages

Participant ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will preface this as I do most posts, I am not a developer / programmer.  We have a CF10 server for our department intranet.

We need to be able to notify a small group of people (less than 100) at once, and thought it would be best to use text messaging.

I tried searching for examples of sending text messages using CF, I found a great article from Ben Nadel from 2007 but that was using mail to forward to the text message service.  

I was hoping to find an example of testing that I could modify to suit us.

Is anyone aware of a sample text page I could modify?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link should be helpful.  It does not state what versions of CF has it, but it's the documentation for using SMS in CF Server.

https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/developing-applications/using-external-resources/using-the-sms-ev...

There's also this SO link that might help.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41552949/sending-receiving-sms-using-coldfusion

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all.  I suspect this is more than I am capable of.  We'll look for another solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I've never used the SMS Gateway, it does seem pretty straight-forward.  Not sure of costs involved, if any.  But the choice is yours.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bloodbanker,

We cannot let you go empty-handed. If you bear with us, we shall be able to guide you through an implementation of the SMS gateway in ColdFusion.

My experience with ColdFusion's SMS gateway goes back to the year 2008. We built an SMS messaging platform that sent messages to subscribers' telephone numbers, depending on notifications. It was part of an enterprise messaging system. The application notified subscribers whenever a ship crossed a certain point on its way from the English Channel to the Netherlands. The subscribers were mainly from companies engaged in shipping logistics.

The notifications were triggered by in-coming e-mails and form-posts from admin. We were then on ColdFusion MX 7.x if I remember correctly. The application ran smoothly, even in those early days of ColdFusion, SMS and messaging technologies.

Given that potential, it will be easier to use CF10 "to notify a small group of people (less than 100) at once." So, would you like us to explore the possibilities of ColdFusion SMS Gateway for you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you're willing to give it a try, so am I.  I would need silly simple instructions.  I do have full access to the server including CF administrator, so that should help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, you can expect suggestions in the coming days. Rest assured, I shall assume no prior knowledge or experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi bloodbanker,

Sorry that I couldn't return to this, until now. It's been quite a hectic period. 

I searched and have found some SMS gateway code samples from years ago.

Now, let's start by confirming your requirements:

1) A ColdFusion page that contains a form. The form contains multiple FullNameTelephoneNumber and Message fields, one set for each Recipient. The form also has a MessageToAll field.

2) After you fill and submit the form, you want the messages to be sent as SMS messages to the telephone numbers of the recipients.

Could you please confirm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an easier way that requires zero coding and that works on Mac and Windows: WhatsApp! 🙂

1. Create a WhatsApp group that includes all the telephone numbers you wish to send messages to.
  2. Install the above WhatsApp application on your Mac or Windows server, performing the QR scan at the end, and voilà!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be real careful about using WhatsApp.  Owned by Facebook.  It does have e2e encryption, but the backups are stored in cleartext.  And various other security issues.  Here's an article from DEC 2019:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-security-threats-whatsapp-users-need-know/

The link says four security threats, but five are listed in the article.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation