• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Session Variables Testing

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to test how long session variables persist?

I have a site I am working on where the session timeout is set in the CF admin for 4 hours.

I now have a new application within that site that I need a NEVER session timeout.

So I have this in my application.cfc

<cfset This.name = "my_app">

<cfset This.Sessionmanagement="true">

<cfset this.applicationTimeout = createTimeSpan( 100, 0, 0, 0 ) />

<cfset this.sessionTimeout = createTimeSpan( 100, 0, 0, 0 ) />

I am hoping that this overwrites the 4-hour session timeout and sets the timeout at 100 days, which is fine.

Is there a way I can test this without waiting for 4 hours to see if my session variables persist?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Your line:

<cfset this.applicationTimeout = createTimeSpan( 7, 0, 0, 0 ) />

should not be inside the onApplicationStart function.  It should be right next to where you set the application name.

Catching up on the thread from above, your timeclock "application" is sort of a module of the main "application" or site.  You don't want users to be logged out after your 4-hour session timeout.

Charlie has done an excellent job explaining session and client variables and the appropriateness of use in this

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the CF admin to a really low value i.e. 5 minutes and set your sessionTimeout to 10 minutes and then see it does as you expect.

I assume you have a development server you can do this on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

weezerboy  wrote

Is there a way to test how long session variables persist?

There is a way you can test whether a session has ended, without having to hang around. Add the following test code to your application file:

<cfset this.name = "my_app">

<cfset this.sessionmanagement="true">

<cfset this.applicationTimeout = createTimeSpan( 1, 0, 0, 0 ) />

<cfset this.sessionTimeout = createTimeSpan( 0, 0, 5, 0 ) />

<cffunction name="onSessionEnd" returntype="void">

<cfargument name = "sessionScope" required="yes">

<cfargument name = "appScope" required="yes">

<cflog file="#this.name#" type="Information" text="Session: #arguments.sessionScope.sessionid# ended at #now()#">

</cffunction>

Open the URL of any test CFM page of my_app in the browser.

Note down the time.

Wait just a little over 5 minutes (during which time you shouldn't interact with the my_app application); go make yourself a cup of tea.

Check the logs. You should see an entry confirming that the session ended and that onSessionEnd has run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK this makes sense

How come this application.cfc doesn't overwrite the 4-hour session timeout on the server?
<cfcomponent output="no">

<cfset This.name = "my_application">

</cfcomponent>

What should be in the application.cfc to make this never timeout?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you implying that the session times out after 4 hours?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

weezer: there are two aspects to your question.

1) First, as for this desire for your app to override the admin session timeout: you have not clarified whether you are referring to the value there (on the memory variables page) for the default session timeout, or the max timeout?

If you're referring to the max timeout, no, you CANNOT override that. That's why it's a max. The default takes effect if an app does NOT set a session timeout. But the max sets the absolute limit for sessions.

2) Second, and perhaps more important: what do you mean by saying you want to set a session that never times out? What would be your intent there? You do realize that the session would timeout if CF ever restarted, right?

Have you considered instead using client variables? Those never "timeout" (though there is a purge interval that can be set, in terms of days, after which the variables would be removed for a user who has not accessed your server for a given number of days).

But really, there's not any valid use case I can think of for sessions that never timeout.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me try and explain. I have a site that has a 4-hour session timeout on the server. I am building a new application within that site that I don't want to timeout. It's a time clock application and it always needs to be logged in. So I am trying to figure out a way to keep the session always active for my time clock application. Even if it could stay active for a week at a time that would be better than timing out after 4 hours and needing to log back in every 4 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

weezerboy  wrote

I have a site that has a 4-hour session timeout on the server. I am building a new application within that site that I don't want to timeout. It's a time clock application and it always needs to be logged in. So I am trying to figure out a way to keep the session always active for my time clock application.

You don't need sessions at all for this design. Let alone, long sessions. Sessions are meant to be used by ColdFusion to identify clients that are external to an application. Think, for example, of a web service that has to contact your application in order to keep time. It might want some guarantees about how long it can stay idle during a session.

In contrast, your clock is within - hence, part of - the application. So you should be thinking "application" instead of "session". If you store key clock variables in the application scope, they will last the entire lifetime of the application. Therefore, for a clock that must be active for at least a week, the following settings will be sufficient

<cfset this.applicationTimeout = createTimeSpan( 7, 0, 0, 0 ) /><!--- 7 days --->

<cfset this.sessionTimeout = createTimeSpan( 0, 0, 20, 0 ) />

<!--- In your code, store the clock's lifecycle variables in application scope. The natural place to define such variables is in onApplicationStart --->

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weezer, if your need for this timeclock is shared across all users, then sure, the application scope is a place to store the info. I had proposed the client scope (in point 2 of my last replay) as I assumed it was something unique to each user. You make that call.

But can you confirm if point 1 of my last reply clarified part of your question?

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I get it use this

Do I still set any session variables, or will that cause the application to timeout?

What does this mean?

The natural place to define such variables is in onApplicationStart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my current application.cfc..is this all I need ?

<cffunction name="onApplicationStart" output="no">

</cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your line:

should not be inside the onApplicationStart function.  It should be right next to where you set the application name.

Catching up on the thread from above, your timeclock "application" is sort of a module of the main "application" or site.  You don't want users to be logged out after your 4-hour session timeout.

Charlie has done an excellent job explaining session and client variables and the appropriateness of use in this case.  Keep in mind that the session timeout counter will reset each time a call is made to the server (either by browsing to a page or any AJAX calls to the server).  So as long as the user is doing something periodically, you probably won't hit the session timeout.  However, if you want sessions to survive overnight or throughout the week, that is not really how sessions are intended to work (as Charlie stated above).

Do people in your organization leave their browsers open and their computers logged in overnight or continuously throughout a week?  (If so, that's probably not optimal behavior from a security standpoint).

There are probably a number of ways to keep users "logged in" via client variables (if you choose to use client variables to solve this, please use a database and DO NOT use the registry - that's the path to serious problems).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the latest application.cfc I have, how does this look?

</cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

Last 2 questions

Do I need to reference sessions at all, like in these2 lines?

Do I need this?

</cffunction>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you aren't making use of session variables, then you don't need to enable sessions or set a session timeout.  And if you don't put any code inside of the onApplicationStart() function, then you don't need that function to be in your Application.cfc.  You only need to put the various onXXX() functions when you want to intercept those application lifecycle events and do something when those events occur.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

weezerboy wrote

</cfcomponent>

Your application variables are in the right place (as Carl suggests). You just have to modify the values. Something like this:

<cffunction name="onApplicationStart" returntype="boolean">

<!---Initializing clock variables. Just an idea --->

<cfset application.clockStart = now()>

<cfset application.millisStart = getTickCount()>

<cfreturn true>

</cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation