Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Solr does not appear to be running in CF 2018 install

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks,

We recently installed ColdFusion 2018 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux in our environment and are migrating applications to the new servers. One of our applications uses Solr collections. Unfortunately it looks like Solr isn't running on the new system. It appears to be installed (/opt/coldfusion2018/cfusion/jetty/solr is populated) but it doesn't appear to have spawned any jobs. When I try to create new collections I get the error message, "Unable to retrieve collections from the Search Services. Ensure that you have installed ColdFusion Search Service and it is running." 

Solr host name: localhost

Solr Home: /opt/coldfusion2018/cfusion/jetty/multicore

I try to reach {server}:8983/solr and {server}:8991/solr via both browser from my work machine and curl from the server, to no avail.

Any thoughts? Do I need to install a separate Solr instance?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Michael, you just need to start the "cfjetty" process.

You may have noticed that when you install CF on Linux, it ALSO does not start up automatically. You go to the cfusion/bin folder and run the coldfusion start command. Well, similarly, since CF10, you would go to the cfusion/jetty folder, and run the cfjetty start command. Once you do that, both the "collections" page and your call to the {server}:8991/solr  url should now work.

BTW, the "cfjetty" process covers both Solr and PDFG (for the CFHTMLTOPDF tag).

FWIW, if you want to be able to have it run all the time, automatically, you can copy that cfjetty file to /etc/init.d, as in sudo cp /opt/coldfusion2018/cfusion/jetty/cfjetty /etc/init.d

So no, you don't need to install it separately. There is indeed an available installer for that (which one can download from Adobe at the cf downloads page), but that's for when you want to install it on a server SEPARATE from the CF server. Since as you say you do see the cfusion.jetty folder, I am assuming that you or whoever installed CF did choose its option to install Solr. 

If you may try to start it, and find either that it doesn't start, or the URL you visit doesn't work, there are logs in the cfusion/jetty/logs folder which may help, and there are config files in the jetty and jetty/etc files that can be tweaked for some needs. But let's hear if the first point above is all you may need to get going.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation