• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Substracting not providing accurate results

Participant ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello people, I have an SQL query that performs some profit calculations before the result is displayed.

As I was CFlooping, I noticed that while most results (chargeToCustomer - Cost = Profit) were accurate, some of them were off by 1 cent.

Since I don't know SQL server functions very well, I decided to leave the calculations to Coldfusion.

But I'm getting similar results. Out of 144 records, I have about 10 that are off by 1 cent.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Is there any decimal function I need to add in order to respect the values? I have the perception that some values are either rounded up or down, which causes the result to be off.

My formula is extremely simple: <cfset myProfit = Charge - Cost>

No magic, not weird formulas and not hidden fees

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

This can depend on the type of numbers you are talking about. If they are very large numbers then I would suggest looking into PreciseEvaluation - ColdFusion Help | PrecisionEvaluate

If they are not that big then there is something else you are doing but without seeing more code of example numbers its hard to tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can depend on the type of numbers you are talking about. If they are very large numbers then I would suggest looking into PreciseEvaluation - ColdFusion Help | PrecisionEvaluate

If they are not that big then there is something else you are doing but without seeing more code of example numbers its hard to tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. I think my problem is the cost: it has 4 decimal places. I'll make changes and post results here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup, the issue was related to the Cost. Since the formula included the time spent, it was getting 4 decimal places.

I solved it with some SQL.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation