• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suggestion to select Coldfusion Standard or Enterprise version for Windows 2016 Core or Data Center?

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks.

We have a number of Windows 2008 R2 servers and a few are running CF 10 Enterprise.

We are planning to upgrade all 2008 R2 servers to at least Windows 2016 Core or Data version. Which version of CF would you recommend knowing what you know now.

I am leaning just towards CF 2018 standard as we don't need nor use any of the enterprise features from version 10 anyway. It is expensive so that is why we are thinking about which versions to use now. The only must is that it must be able to connect to our Oracle 11g+ enterprise database connected to our SIS (Ellucian Banner) and MySQL 5.7 or 8.0 and with some PostGres.

How much ram would you need? I am thinking of at least 32 GB because it is Windows 🙂

Would you use windows 2012 or 2016 even?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would upgrade to whatever version of Windows Server your organization currently supports. If you don't have one, I'd upgrade to the latest version.

If you use CF's built in database drivers to connect to Oracle, that is an enterprise feature. It's possible to replace that with Oracle's own JDBC drivers if you want to save money, but they may perform differently under load etc.

I can't really make a memory recommendation, but basically whatever amount of memory it's using with Windows Server 2008 R2 is around how much it'll use with newer versions of Windows.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave.

Does the enterprise license allow us to install it on more than one server unlike Standard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should probably read the license yourself to decide this, as I'm not a lawyer. My understanding of the license is that it does not allow you to do this, with the possible exception of some virtualization options.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation