• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The system has attempted to use an undefined value, which usually indicates a programming error

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suddenly receiving the error message "The system has attempted to use an undefined value, which usually indicates a programming error, either in your code or some system code. Null Pointers are another name for undefined values."

This is a development site on my local machine. Everything was working until I changed the database associated with the datasource. When I refreshed the page, I got the message above. Now none of the pages work.

It's an old application using Fusebox 5.5 and I'm migrating it from ColdFusion 11 to ColdFusion 2018.

I'm not skilled at reading stack trace, but here it is in case someone sees something useful. Thank you!

Resources:

Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are using the correct syntax.
Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.

Browser Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:86.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/86.0
Remote Address 127.0.0.1
Referrer
Date/Time 23-Mar-21 03:35 PM
Stack Trace

java.lang.NullPointerException
at coldfusion.runtime.AppHelper.generateNewClientIDs(AppHelper.java:605)
at coldfusion.runtime.AppHelper.handleClientIDs(AppHelper.java:221)
at coldfusion.runtime.AppHelper.ValidateClientAndSession(AppHelper.java:1239)
at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:483)
at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:43)
at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40)
at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:162)
at coldfusion.filter.IpFilter.invoke(IpFilter.java:45)
at coldfusion.filter.LicenseFilter.invoke(LicenseFilter.java:30)
at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:96)
at coldfusion.filter.BrowserDebugFilter.invoke(BrowserDebugFilter.java:78)
at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28)
at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:60)
at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
at coldfusion.filter.CachingFilter.invoke(CachingFilter.java:62)
at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:226)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:311)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:46)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:47)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
at coldfusion.inspect.weinre.MobileDeviceDomInspectionFilter.doFilter(MobileDeviceDomInspectionFilter.java:121)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:47)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:53)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:202)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:97)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:542)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:143)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:92)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:78)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:359)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:374)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:65)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:888)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1597)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Sorry for the false alarm! After much consternation, it seems to have corrected itself. Will keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I've done some basic troubleshooting like restarting the server, rebooting my machine, changing the application name, etc. Also, this is the exception data below the debugging information:

15:53:40.040 - coldfusion.util.RuntimeWrapper Exception - in : line -1
15:53:40.040 - java.lang.NullPointerException - in : line -1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the false alarm! After much consternation, it seems to have corrected itself. Will keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A missing cookie or session ID perhaps, that later got restored? Reminds me of an old problem with CFID cookies. In any case, thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know your issue just seemingly resolved itself, but ours didn't 😞 .  Similar scenario (migrating old site from CF10 to 2018) and encountered the same error. 

Turns out our applicationTimeout was set to 

this.applicationTimeout = createTimeSpan( 0, 0, 0, 0 )

Not sure why, or why that worked before, but changing that to something above 0 fixes the issue for us.  Just thought I'd share that since not everyone's problems fix themselves 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a slightly unrelated note, I don't think setting the application timeout to zero is a good thing. Better to just not use application variables at all - something that can be disabled server-wide in the CF Administrator.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed. This was a 10+ year old app that hasn't been touched in... well probably 10 years.  I'm guessing someone was being clever or working around some limitation.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation