• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

trying to understand CF side-by-side installations (CF9 and CF11)

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm testing my upgrade from CF9 to CF11 on the same server.  Looks like my old CF9 installation was an enterprise, standard, IIS installation.  (if that makes sense to you)  My CF11 is an enterprise, production + secure, stand-alone installation.  It appears that I had to choose the stand-alone installation with internal web server so it can diferentiate between the two Cold Fusions adn do side-by-side installation.  We want to use the internal web server anyhow so we can use the built-in Tomcat server instead of having to install a separate one.  Now  the question has come up, how do I get all of my web pages that are on IIS into my current ColdFusion.  I discovered a document that discusses the Web Server Management.  It looks like I can run it now and it will configure my connection between IIS and ColdFusion.   

https://wikidocs.adobe.com/wiki/display/coldfusionen/Web+Server+Management

My question is, can this be done while CF9 is still up and running and then it would give me a CF11 ran instance of using the CF webpages  so I can test them and get them to work.    Someone was thinking that IIS wouldn't be able to figure out which CF administrator to use.   Two CF applications cannot use IIS at the same time.  If so, how do I get the two systems to run side-by-side using my CF pages, so I can test if anything broke and needs to be changed in the code,  and/or test any of the new capabilities in CF11?

Thanks in advance!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

If you use either connector with "all sites" configured, it will install that connector server-wide (in the server's configuration, not each individual site's configuration).  If you then try to connect the other connector to a specific site, it will result in a conflict between server-config and site-config that will cause the site to be unresponsive.

So the way to avoid that is not to install either connector with the "all sites" option, so each individual site can be configured with the approp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done, but it is not necessarily for the faint of heart.  I haven't done it in quite some time.  Here are the basics:

1. Figure out which ports CF 9 is using.
  2. Install CF11 using the built-in web server first (don't connect it to IIS).  Make sure CF 11 is not trying to use the same ports as CF 9.
  3. Run the CF9 Web Server Connection Tool.  See if you have "all sites" configured.  If you do, remove the connector and reinstall individually to the sites you want CF9 to operate.  Make sure your sites operate properly before moving on.
  4. If you want to have the same site code run under both CF9 and CF11, you'll need to copy the directory of the CF9 site to a new directory for CF11 (e.g.: D:\sites\MySite -> D:\sites\MySite2)
  5. Run the CF11 Web Server Connection Tool.  Connect your CF11 site (D:\sites\MySite2) to IIS.
  6. Repeat 4&5 for each site you are parallel testing with CF11.

I'd do a Google search on "install multiple versions of ColdFusion", as there are several blog articles involving previous versions of ColdFusion.  If you find one that shows CF9 paired with CF10, it should be pretty much the same for CF9 and CF11.

If it were me, though, I'd spin up a virtual machine, copy the site code in, and install CF11.  I would then do extensive testing, fix code that breaks, then when once I was satisfied CF11 is working fine, copy the code updates back to my production server and do an upgrade install of CF11 to replace CF9.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carl Von Stetten this  was the direction I was leaning, but I wouldn't have run the CF9 Web Server Connection Tool.  Thanks for the guidance.  We do have "all sites" configured there, so I'll have to reinstall these sites individually.  Can you fill me in on some knowledge as to why the CF9 sites need to be reconnected individually?  Will the CF11 sites (to the new copy of the site code) need to be connected individually as well, or can that be an "all sites" configuration?  I guess you do say repeat steps 4 & 5 for each site I am parallel testing wtih CF11, so I take that to mean configured individually. Correct?  Thanks so much!!  I'll have to see which route I get the green light to proceed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use either connector with "all sites" configured, it will install that connector server-wide (in the server's configuration, not each individual site's configuration).  If you then try to connect the other connector to a specific site, it will result in a conflict between server-config and site-config that will cause the site to be unresponsive.

So the way to avoid that is not to install either connector with the "all sites" option, so each individual site can be configured with the appropriate connector.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Carl!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation