• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to update the NT registry. Variable DRIVERPATH is undefined.

Participant ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to set up a CF DSN using Access 365 (accdb) on win10 CF 2018 and I get this error message

Unable to update the NT registry.
Variable DRIVERPATH is undefined.

The google results are all over the board.
Change the Registry key, change to 32 bit, etc.

Is there a known solution to setting up this dsn?

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Unless this is for limited use (ie, ten users or less), it is ill advised to use Access DB for CF app/site.  You're better off with MS-SQL, or MySQL if you need a low-cost option.

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear.  But it's my best advice on this matter.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless this is for limited use (ie, ten users or less), it is ill advised to use Access DB for CF app/site.  You're better off with MS-SQL, or MySQL if you need a low-cost option.

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear.  But it's my best advice on this matter.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've switched to MySQL. Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for marking my answer as correct.  I do appreciate it, and I'm sure someone else in your situation will, too.

V/r,

^ _ ^

PS.. considering how much more robust MySQL is over Access, I'm sure you'll be much happier with MySQL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WolfShade's answer is really the best one. But if you're really unable or unwilling to do that, this blog post is probably your best shot.

https://www.coldfusionmuse.com/mobile/postDetail.cfm?post=3D91453C-B298-4951-10A5931E252209D1

The problem is pretty complicated, and does involve the registry and 32-bit drivers. ColdFusion reads ODBC datasource info from the Windows registry, and there's a 64-bit vs 32-bit issue with the SequeLink drivers that act as an ODBC bridge. So, long story short, you'll have to define the datasource outside of the CF Administrator using the information in the blog post.

Note: I don't know anything about Access 365. I'm assuming it still works the same way as previous Access versions when it comes to ODBC and SequeLink, though.

Finally: again, WolfShade's answer is really the right one. It's pretty easy to migrate a database from Access to MySQL or even Apache Derby. MySQL is your best bet for a web application, out of the options listed. Apache Derby is a lot like Access in that it's not a traditional client-server database engine, but at least it's well supported by CF. You can even migrate to SQL Server Web Edition, I think, which is definitely an improvement.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation