• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsupported Operation. Check application log for more details.

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my second day learning ColdFusion. I am able to display .cfm pages. However, when I tried to browse/load the .cfc file, I kept getting this error.

Unsupported Operation. Check application log for more details.

These are my simple testing codes.

<cfcomponent hint="A first CFC">

<cffunction name="getValue" returntype="String" access="public">

<cfreturn "Hellow World">

</cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

Where is the "application log" so I can check for more details?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

You're not actually supposed to "browse" to CFC files, typically.  But if you were to do that, then you might want to give the function an output="yes" attribute.

The logs are easily viewed from within CFAdmin (go to Debugging & Logging on the left navigation, then choose "Log Files" under that, and click on "application.log" in the list of logs.)

Alternatively, you can also use Windows Explorer (or whatever file viewer your OS uses) and navigate to {cfDirectory}cfusion\logs, find the "application

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not actually supposed to "browse" to CFC files, typically.  But if you were to do that, then you might want to give the function an output="yes" attribute.

The logs are easily viewed from within CFAdmin (go to Debugging & Logging on the left navigation, then choose "Log Files" under that, and click on "application.log" in the list of logs.)

Alternatively, you can also use Windows Explorer (or whatever file viewer your OS uses) and navigate to {cfDirectory}cfusion\logs, find the "application.log" file and open it.

HTH,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. This is what the log says: To use Component Browser, enable RDS Service using Administrator. Note: RDS is intended for development use only.

Where do I enable the RDS Service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As WolfShade said you shouldn't really be "browsing" to your cfc files. They are not intended for use in the browser. They are like classes that you main pages instantiate and use the methods inside. Basically the cfm (view) calls the cfc (backend).

For example you might have something in your cfm page like

<cfset var = createObject('component', 'myCFC')>

<cfset text = var.getValue()>

<cfoutput>#text#</cfoutput>

In this case text would output "Hellow World" (Based on your first post)

If you do want to enable RDS then this can be done by going to the Coldfusion Administrator and selecting Security > RDS from the menu. Browsing to the cfc will then just give you a break down of the functions available and what they return.

You can see more information here - Components | Learn CF in a Week

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I got it work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MyCharlie,

I am glad to hear that you've got it working. Please mark the post that you consider the correct answer. It will help someone else in future. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation