I built a site for a company, all modern stuff. The website has a section that is hooked to a ColdFusion site(?) Unfortunately the portal is so old that it need to be set into compatibility mode in order to function. However, when you set the site to compatibility mode the site doesn't render (I am assuming because it uses more modern html5 code and it doesnt know what to do with it)
So the question is, is it possible update old .cfm files in order to function on the modern web (easily, this is the first time i ever heard of coldfusion)? Also, it is running on ColdFusion MX 7...and I really dont think they are willing to upgrade.
And thank you so much in advance
Unfortunately, support for CFMX7 is long past EOL, and honestly they really should upgrade if for no reason other than security. Not to mention, CF7 is using JRUN; CF10 switched to Tomcat (much nicer, I think).
But the "more modern" stuff isn't related to CF, unless CF code is writing some or all of the HTML. The more modern stuff would be the front-end; CF is more back-end (database connections, etc.) So, bringing the HTML into the 21st Century is what you really want/need, not so much the CF (although I still stick by my assertion that the CF upgrade really _should_ take place.)
Do you know of anyway I can get the module to stop checking if you are running IE 5.0?
This depends completely on the code written for the module.
As haxtbh has stated, that is most likely CF code written specifically to detect if a browser is running IE5; I would guess that the original coder did so to serve different front-end HTML depending on which browser was being used. And I hate to say it, but if the CF code is checking for IE 5.0, then the code needs to be dumped and started from scratch, because it's so old that the security risks, alone, make for a breeding ground of malcontent actions. CF10 has a very nice ESAPI that should be learned and placed into an updated application/site.
Just my two cents.
Honestly security isn't really a big issue. All the portal does is allow them to look at their inventory, its not very feature rich. I did remove the script from the file that detected the browser type so now it does open. However, it doesn't function properly so now I am on a quest to find out why the website isn't show up incompatibility mode.
http://lasarlogistics01.businesscatalyst.com/ if anyone is curious in helping in that department haha
Thank you everyone for your help!