• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating Java JDK on ColdFusion 2016

Enthusiast ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just moved from CF8 up to ColdFusion 2016, which has the rather handy UPDATE button.

I noticed that it does not appear to update the Java JDK, the install I used placed version 1.8.0_112  however if I look on Oracle I see there is an 8u_152 ( Java SE Development Kit 8 - Downloads  )

The question I have (which it looks like the answer is obvious) is do I have to manually update the JDK still? If so I guess I'll install in the program files then change the host file in CF to point to the JRE inside the JDK.

Second question, the last info I could find was that ColdFusion 2016 is not compatible with Java version 9, is that still the case or should I go for the latest and greatest version 9? Currently version 9.0. 1 ( Java SE Development Kit 9 - Downloads  )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes a cf update (or new installer) will include a jvm update, but often there will be java point release updates while no cf update has incorporated them. In such cases, yes, it's recommended (for security reasons mostly) that you apply the Java update yourself, and point cf to it. 

And no, as for Java 9, no cf release currently supports it. 

/Charlie

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

null

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. I'll do a manual update to the latest JDK. Ummm. I wonder what happens if I do a manual update, in the future does that then preclude the CF updater from updating it beyond my manual override of the process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty rare that a CF updater contains a Java update, so I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. In general, you will have to do Java updates manually, you will need to check the CF compatibility requirements to identify the latest major Java version supported, and you can usually install the latest minor version for that major version. In general, you should install new Java minor versions as they become available, or a little later, on a regular basis.

New major versions are typically quite a bit different than the previous major version, and CF will often need an upgrade just to be able to support a new major version. It may be quite some time before Java 9 is supported, and Java 8 will be with us for quite a while.

You do have the option of using the "Server JRE" instead of the JDK. This is a JVM without development tools. The only real advantage here is that it takes a bit less disk space, and presumably may be easier to secure in some respects. I've used this fairly often, and used the JDK as well, and haven't seen any other difference.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave,

Do you know where I could find out what versions are official supported? I had a hunt around and could not find anything official

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.

I managed to take care of it by manually updating to the latest version of 1.8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation