Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade 9.0.0 to 9.0.2

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would need some help in upgrading my ColdFusion in my company's server from CF 9.0.0 to CF 9.0.2

Currently my company installs CF 9.0.0 on IIS, however our product would need to use Java 1.7.

Some articles suggests me to apply cumulative hot fix and change the Java source path to Java 1.7, as mentioned in the article Cumulative hot fix 1 | ColdFusion 9.0.2

However, the hot fix is only applicable to CF 9.0.2 and the CF (running off IIS) that got installed in our production server is CF 9.0.0.

Some articles suggests that the only way to upgrade CF 9 to CF 9.0.2 is by doing a fresh install of CF 9.0.2 and uninstall CF 9.0.0.

However, if I do that, won't I lose my data source information, etc?

Is there any smooth way to upgrade CF 9.0.0 to CF 9.0.2?

Thanks for your time to read my questions   Any help or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Ivan.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Hi Ivan,

When jvm.config is set to java.home=C:\\Program Files\\java\jdk1.7.0_15\\jre is msvcr100.dll from Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_15\bin placed in \ColdFusion9\runtime\bin ? If you have a msvcr100.dll already there take a copy of it before replace so you have a rollback.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ivan,

CF 9.0.2 is a fresh install using 9.0.2 installer package which is not available on Adobe CF download page.

I have used CF 9.0.1 CHF4 with Java 7. From memory it is not an official Adobe supported platform.

CF 9.0.0 can be updated to 9.0.1 with an updater package. I would not try update 9.0.0 to 9.0.1 on production prefer you do that on a dev area (someone's notebook) first.  I guess 9.0.0 could work with Java 7 but have never tried myself. On dev area, install your CF 9.0.0 package and configure it with Java 7 then test.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ivan, to follow up on what Carl so helpfully said:

- yes 9.0.2 is a full installer, not an updater, so you would need to uninstall CF 9.0.0 to move to 9.0.2. I discuss the ins and outs of it(and reasons for its existence) here: http://www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2013/8/19/understanding_ColdFusion_9.0.2_a_FAQ

- as for your concern of losing your CF Admin info (datasources) on an uninstall, if you’re on CF Enterprise you can use the “ColdFusion Archive” feature in the CF Admin to export then import the settings

- if you’re on CF Standard, that’s not there. But you could just save off a copy the coldfusion9\lib\neo*.xml files from the 9.0 install, and then restore them after installing 9.0.2 (but only after saving off also the ones that are placed in 9.0.2 initially). That process is not formally supported and a bit risky, and I’d never recommend it across major versions, like 9 to 10. But for among point releases of 9 I’d think you’d be ok (and you could restore the save of the originals if needed).

- and yes, you can indeed use Java 7 on CF 9.0.2 after CHF1, as indicated in that link you mentioned

- better still for you perhaps, you can also use java 7 on CF 9.0.0 after applying its CHF3 (as discussed at http://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/cumulative-hotfix-3-coldfusion-900.html )

- and on CF9.0.1, after applying its CHF4 (http://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/cumulative-hotfix-4-coldfusion-901.html)

Hope all that helps.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie and Carl,

Thank you so much for your input.  It does help and I made some progress

Yes I think I will choose to go down the path where I don't need to upgrade CF 9.0.0 to CF 9.0.2 in the production server, but goes down the path where we can use Java 7 on CF 9.0.0.

Charlie, I've followed the instructions on http://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/cumulative-hotfix-3-coldfusion-900.html and everything seems to work fine after the upgrade.

However, as soon as I follow the instructions on Use ColdFusion with an external JVM that is by installing JDK 1.7.0_15 and then resetting the java.home in the "jvm.config" file, then my CF can't start anymore.

It asks me to look at the System Event Log, which just says "The ColdFusion 9 Application Server service could not be started.  Check the server "coldfusion" log files for more information.", but there is no entries in the CF log folder that may relate to the failed start up.  Any idea why this is the case?

I know JDK 1.7.0_15 works for CF 9.0.2, and the article referred to by the hotfix for CF 9.0.0 also mentions that version in the example.

Again, thank you very much for your time to answer my question above.

Kind regards,

Ivan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ivan,

When jvm.config is set to java.home=C:\\Program Files\\java\jdk1.7.0_15\\jre is msvcr100.dll from Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_15\bin placed in \ColdFusion9\runtime\bin ? If you have a msvcr100.dll already there take a copy of it before replace so you have a rollback.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS

Likely the error details are in ColdFusion9\runtime\logs\ coldfusion-out.log .

Always appreciate Charlies additions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ivan, see this blog entry, I wrote just for you (well, ok, I wrote it a month ago, but I definitely had your problem in mind!):

CF911: "Help! I've updated the JVM which ColdFusion uses, and now it won't start!"

www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2014/12/11/help_I_updated_CFs_JVM_and_it_wont_start

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2015 Jan 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie and Carl,

Thanks you both so much for your help.  It's up and running now.

All of your answers and suggestions are correct, sadly I can't mark all answers as correct answers but I would like to use this reply to tell everyone reading this thread that all of the above suggestions are indeed very helpful and correct.

Charlie, thanks for the link to that blog entry as well www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2014/12/11/help_I_updated_CFs_JVM_and_it_wont_start, very informative indeed.

Thanks again and really appreciate your help.

Ivan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to worry. i will mark them as helpful.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help, and great to hear that you got things resolved. (And thanks Anit for stepping in there.)

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation