• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrading from CF 9 to 2016

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the upgrade price to go from CF version 9 to 2016 standard?

Our code was mostly written for CF MX. What should we look out for when upgrading?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There will be potentially a lot to consider but it depends on the complexity of the code. You can get the trial of 2016 and run the code analysis in the CF Admin. Although not perfect, it will give you a start on what might have been depreciated.

The only real way will be to migrate in development and test it fully in the newer version.

There isn't an upgrade path either for 9 to 2016 I don't think - You just have to buy the license for 2016 and install it separately. It uses Tomcat now instead of JRun so a lot in the underlying engine is different

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I don't know why this type of info is so hard to find or does not exist on adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

On www.adobe.com, you will always find information about the supported versions of ColdFusion. CF9 was end-of-life since 12/31/2014 and even the extended support was over 12/31/2014. That's the reason, you don't find the info about the same on www.adobe.com. However, we do have a Migration Guide, that talks about migration from CF9 to CF2016. Here is the same https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/products/coldfusion/pdfs/cf2016/cf2016-migration-guide.pdf . As far as the pricing is concerned, as Toby mentioned, you need full version of CF2016 license. 

Let me know, in case you would like the Sales team to reach out to you. 

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't answer your price question. Code wise, for us, upgrading from CF9 to CF-2016 was fairly painless. Only four issues come to mind that affected us:

1. CGI.PATH_INFO is not set and we needed to add code to use CGI.SCRIPT_NAME if the former was empty (I could be flipping these, I'm writing from memory).
  2. File tags are slash and backslash sensitive whereas CF9 didn't seem to care - C:/temp/filename.txt and C:/temp\filename.txt were perfectly valid in CF9 whereas only backslashes are valid in CF-2016 (on Windows).
  3. Passing REQUESTTIMEOUT as a URL parameter no longer works. Your lengthy pages (if any) need to use the cfsetting tag to specify the timeout.
  4. We use an /API folder in our apps and CF by default treats this folder as a reserved folder for it. This was probably the most painful for us but we figured out the right tweaks to "unreserve" the folder.

I will say though that the improvements to the cfscript language, capabilities, and syntax, along with the addition of queryExecute and related tags vs. the query.cfc component makes it well worth any upgrade pains you might have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation