• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use certificate based TLS auth when sending mail?

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CF 11,0,15,311399 on RedHat Linux 7.6 x86-64

I'm trying to send email using cfmail() and our local smtp server prefers the use of X509 certifcates for authentication and TLS rather than the more usual username/password mechanism.  Is this possible is CF11?

I see stuff about keystore, keyalias, etc but that seems more for digitally signing the email.  And stuff about recipientcert and encrypt seems more about encrypting the actual body of the email being sent using the recipient's public key./certificate.

Thanks,

PH

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've never done anything with TLS client authentication with SMTP in CF or elsewhere. I would try adding the client certificates to the Java keystore and see if that works, even though it's kind of grouped with mail signing in the CF Administrator. I don't think you should even have to enter the keystore and keystore password if you're using the default Java keystore, but you'll probably have to enter the alias to get the right client certificate.

If none of that works, you could use the time-honored workaround of setting up your own SMTP server locally, and use CF to talk to that instead.

Dave Watts, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation