• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where to download coldfusion 2021 developer?

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried 5 different locations and they all redirect to the 2018 download page. I have been going from here https://www.adobe.com/support/coldfusion/downloads.html#cf2021productdownloads and it still takes you to the 2018 download. 

I was told by Adobe support to post on the forums as they couldn't provide me with a proper link even though marketing emails and your own site are saying it is available for download.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about that link, but just remember coldfusion.com. That takes you to the CF "product family" page, and there you will find info and links/buttons to get to the page for downloading all the "editions" of CF2021. Actually, there is only one installer (per OS) for all "editions".  You are asked during installation whether you want to enter a license or not, or to go with the trial or developer edition.

Let us know if that gets you to what you need. Bummer to hear that any Adobe support folks would have been challenged to recommend that page...but then Adobe support provides support for ALL Adobe products. Some of them wouldn't know how to spell ColdFusion, it seems.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I was pressed for time before and didn't even try that link you'd mentioned, but I see now that it's the page where normally one gets things RELATED to CF (rather than CF itself), but that page has always ALSO offered a link to get the developer or trial editions. And that link went right to the ones for CF2021.

More than that, the link for each DID go to the page for downloading 2021. I wonder if you say that next page referring to 2018 if perhaps it was a cached page for you. That can happen, of course.

Anyway, just clarifying things for others who may see this discussion.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen a longer way to say "I don't know what I'm talking about"

I mean the fact you just talked to someone like they  can't follow simple directions, and are looking at Enteprise level tools but couldn't of possibly known about page caching... 

Here

https://www.adobe.com/support/coldfusion/downloads.html

Ok, sends you to a trial (http://www.adobe.com/go/trycoldfusion)  Which up to 48 hours ago, would allow you to download the previous versions (so thanks adobe for finally updating that)... because the back end form logic can't be cached

But you knew that already right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore me if you prefer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are looking to upgrade from 2018 and are considering going to 2021 instead of 2023 as it is an easier path for us right now. All the links seem to point to 2023. Is it still possible to install 2021? It's still in support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @brood ,

Yes, the CF2021 installers are available. Please contact our support team at cf.install@adobe.com and request the CF2021 installer.

Thanks,

Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a huge issue 3year later. Adobe does NOT want us to find the software we bought. Here is what enterprise support sent me after putting in a ticket and escalating it to literally the head of support. At least it is still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You absolutely can get the software you paid for, even if it's cf2018, cf2016, cf11, or earlier.

Where would one get that? Well, not from the main web site, no. It's ALWAYS been that when a new version came out, the previous version was removed. Other software makers do that. Not ALL offer public archives of old versions. Many DO only offer them when people login to prove ownership of the old version. 

And that indeed is what Adobe does: those who PAID for cf can get THEIR installers FOREVER from licensing.adobe.com. So who would know that? Well, whoever bought cf would. They were given an account to that lws when they bought cf (or their license was added to their existing account).

The problem is that Cf is the kind of app where the people who use/manage it may have no idea who bought it. One option is to plead to "Enterprise support" as you did (folks who probably support dozens of products).

Or you can ask cf support directly, cfsup@adobe.com, as Vikram offered here 2 months ago. (Or is that what you mean you did? People will be curious to hear.)

Finally, note that there is a publicly available repository of old cf installers, organized and contributed to by trusted members of the cf community--myself included. It's at cfmlrepo.com.

So there are indeed multiple ways one can get previous cf installers, from Adobe or otherwise. The situation is not as desperate as it can seem to some, but understand how it can feel that way before you learn all this.

Hope that helps. (Trust me, there are plenty of site issues I have complained about over the years. Some just never get resolved, for whatever reason.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is either deliberately making this harder than it has to be for the end user, or is simply doing a terrible job of communicating their processes. The fact that you have dealt with it enough times over the years to have the inside scoop on how to do what should be a simple operation does not excuse their lack. One should not need an inside scoop on how to do something so basic. The company is either unwilling or unable to provide decent support. I use them  because I have to, but if given a choice, the lack of quality support, and the requirement for insider knowledge to get the most basic things accomplished is enough reason for me to simply stop using their products. If I can convince my management to do so, that is exactly what I will do. if it works for you, great. Kind of you to share your experience and knowledge. But the fact is, you should not have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. Pretty much all software has characteristics requiring "insider knowledge" (if you want to put it that way); otherwise, why would forums like this be needed (along with stackoverflow, experts exchange, slack channels, fb groups and so on)? 

Heck, pretty much ALL technology has such (cars, appliances, tools, etc), some of which is covered in the manual (which people lose or lose track of) while other info is often communicated at purchase (and often forgotten)... which explains the popularity of youtube videos on pretty much any topic.

But yours sounds like another common scenario: someone who's been in a relationship of many years but is now looking to get out, seeing certain wrongs as ones that "anyone would understand" as their justification to finally leave.  Not "everyone" will agree, for different reasons, but you do have free will--regarding the tech choice or your job (if your management isn't persuaded).

And finally, as is true more broadly, you can find whole communities who will commiserate in the awful situation you left, celebrating your new choice--and filling you with the insider knowledge of that new choice so that you can rest in and even welcome others into that new world.

And then some day someone will lament what's wrong there... which they've grown weary of putting up with...the circle of life, some might say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie,

What you say about all software or tech in general needing some inside knowledge is true on the surface, but trivially true, and irrelevant in this case. If I was talking about a weird certificate issue with an embedded jvm, or some complex programming exception that isn't fully documented by the CF team, then you'd have a point. But I am talking about literally getting a software download. Making a web site that is easy to navigate. Making an effort to provide basic assistence when it is requested. Even Microsoft manages to get the basics pretty well ironed out. 
I do not know of ANY other tech company, and I deal with dozens, that make it quite so convoluted to get an existing, supported product. I don't know of any tech company that routinely responds to help iquiries with "This is for <category x> help. You need to email another department because for me to take the time to actually forward your concern would be far too inconvenient for me!" Adobe either deliberately obfuscates these file locations, or is hopelessly bad at web site design.  And their help system is designed to close tickets, not resolve issues. You are clearly a fan boy. Great! I sincerely hope you help a lot of people, because Adobe certainly will not. Thank you for chiming in, and I do appreciate your point of view, even if I do not believe it applies in this specific case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It applies, for all the reasons I've already stated. Adobe does NOT make it more difficult  than "any other tech company" for one "to get an existing, supported product". As I said above, many vendors require you to login to get prior versions. A person who buys cf CAN get it from the lws. 

But I understand (and related previously)  how that can be frustrating with something like cf, where a person wanting to install it may NOT be the person who bought it--perhaps in the distant past. Again that's not unique to cf, though it may be unique in all the software someone may use. 

You can assert that my last response was "trivially true" and "irrelevant", and that I am just being "a fan boy". You want to vent. And I've seen this all before. Maybe like others you'll be back in some years, where you'll find me and others still here willing to help.

And trust me, it's NOT just "weird", "complex", and "undocumented" issues that get raised here and in places like it. That may not be so obvious to those who only "come in" once in a while based on a search result or link they found, but we who spend our days in such forums see otherwise. 🙂 

And sure, some people may well only ask when they've exhausted all other self-help, and that's great. What's not great is when they come anew in and want to burn the whole thing down. It's endemic of our time, and different people will empathize--or not.

I did say previously that I, too, see things that could be improved. We can push for such change, or we can leave. It seems clear which sides of that fence you and I are on. As should be clear by now to readers, I prefer to light one candle rather than to curse the darkness. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand by all I said.

I'm here everyday helping people. You created an anonymous account out of the blue today just to offer this opinion. Todd is also new. Nothing wrong with being "new here", of course.

But it all rings rather hollow, especially within days on a thread from 2020. Heck, you could both be the same person. (Maybe you're even the same person who snarled at my reply on this matter in this same thread back in Nov 2020.) 

It's certainly interesting that I've participated in perhaps a thousand discussions here in the forums (either solving problems or presenting info requested, in nearly every case), and in *no other thread* have I heard such calumnies.

Bottom line: the question raised has been addressed, with options offered. Opinions are clear. It seems the only meaningful reply would be from Adobe, explaining their stance or proposing to change course on these matters. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie,

You are an angel here, and I mean that with no sarcasm. I only blast Adobe here because I hope they take it as a vote towards improvement. I believe that Adobe on some level really wants to do better on the basics. I spoke with the VP in charge of customer service and she agreed that they are still falling short of their own goals in this area. But while I disagree with you, I will always do so respectfully. Your benefits to this community are amazing, and appreciated.

Best regards,

Todd 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is certainly very kind of you to say. Thank you. As always, I just want to help.

And as I noted in my first reply here this year on Aug 26, I absolutely agree there's much that can be improved--including some very important and currently painful things. Let's indeed press them to improve. And where they fail, let's help each other travel the road as effectively as we can. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation