• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot get colors to match

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photos of a dark teal scarf that I'm trying to edit.  I know for a fact that my white balance is correct, and the color looks perfect in the thumbnail, but I cannot get the color in the image that I am editing to match.  What setting do I need to change to make this match?

I'm using the lateset version of Lightroom Classic, but tried to see if Bridge was going to give the same issue, and it does.

meetmow_0-1664914983689.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to ask match how? Meaning match the product to the monitor? Match the proof to the press? Match the proof to the monitor? Please explain the match you're trying to achieve. 

Also which RGB color space are you editing in?

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also which RGB color space are you editing in?

By @Bob_Hallam

CC62A17D-6B7F-4AC8-ADFF-34A9F02E7A9B.jpeg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That dark teal is out of gamut in sRGB, so the main image window displays this correctly. It's the most saturated color you'll get in sRGB.

If you change your workflow setting for color space to Adobe RGB or ProPhoto you'll get a match - not because it needs to be a specific color space, but because the image needs to be encoded into a big enough color space to contain that saturated teal.

The filmstrip shows the full image data, and you get as much saturation as your display allows (you seem to have a wide gamut display). The thing about ACR's main display is that it soft proofs to the color space you set in workflow options. So any gamut clipping in the target space will show on screen.

A parallell situation happens in Lightroom if you turn soft proof on. It's normally off in Lightroom, but in ACR it's always on. This has to do with the slightly different usages of the two apps. ACR has to open a rendered RGB image into Photoshop in that color space, so soft proof off makes no sense. Lightroom doesn't have that restriction.

Note that similar restrictions, but in reverse, apply when you go to output this image, either print or web. This color is notoriously difficult to reproduce. So I suggest you take som time to look into color spaces and their various sizes (gamuts). If it's out of gamut in the color space you need to use, that's a brick wall. There's nothing you can do about that. And the color space is often given for final output - you can't use any color space you like; you have to use the correct one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As D Fosse explains, this particular colour is beyond the gamut capabilities of sRGB colourspace.

SO if you have to use this image as sRGB then you're going to have to accept a different kind of "match".

A watercolour artist painting a bright scene will have to scale the colour of the entire scene to make it reproducible, although the finished painting will not literally "match" the original scene it's appearance will be satisfactory to artist and viewer. Image makers working towards newspaper printing have similar issues of gamut to deal with. 

IF that scarf is for sale online that’s a tough situation because the default colour space of the web nowadays is sRGB. Eventually this will improve, even now most mobile devices can show colour well beyond sRGB [as they mostly are very close to P3 or DCI-P3 colourspace. ] Use of Adobe RGB (Wide gamut) displays is becoming more widespread too. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen capture is in Camera Raw (and thus appears to have raw data); what are the Lab values of the greens? You can make a decent number (9) of sampler points there and in Lab. 

The raw has, as yet, no defined color space. You could encode this into a much larger color gamut than sRGB. But visually, what you see on screen is limited by the display gamut. Hence, Lab values based upon the color space you could encode in from raw would be useful to know. Alter your workflow options (looks like a web link at the bottom of the ACR UI) to ProPhoto RGB instead of what you now have, sRGB. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines