Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Monitor Calibration Eizo EV2736W

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm looking to calibrate my, almost old, Eizo FlexScan EV2736W. I seriously tried to understand how but the more I read the more I’ve been confused. I tried to see if my monitor has a built-in sensor, but I didn’t find a solution, so I was thinking to buy one, but I found people that recommend a Datacolor SpyderX Pro, other people the EIZO EasyPIX, etc etc. So, can please someone tell me what exactly I have to do?

I also tried to lunch the Color Navigator 7 software but it doesn't find the monitor that is linked to my Macbook pro mid 2014 via mini DP. Do I need another connection via USB?

This calibration seems impossible to me, I can't waste too much time to learn all this staff.

Thank you so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ColorNavigator doesn't work with FlexScans. It supports ColorEdge models only. A few upper-end ColorEdge models have integrated sensor.

There used to be a simpler software called EasyPix for Flexscans, but I don't know if that's still offered. Check on the Eizo site. In any case you will still need a sensor, which may or may not be sold bundled with the calibration software.

Eizo (and NEC) policy has always been to offer monitor editions with or without calibrator included, at a slight price difference. If not included, you can buy it separately later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so did you think is good enough a simple ColorMunki Smile? Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: EasyPix is still downloadable, but it only works with Eizo EX1 and EX2 sensors, which Eizo no longer sell. It doesn't work with standard third-party sensors like a Spyder or an i1Display. All things considered, I'd get an i1Display Pro package just for the sensor (it's worth it), and then use the free DisplayCAL software.

The advantage of  using Eizo's integrated software is that it works directly with the monitor's internal circuitry. Other third-party software has to make adjustments in the video card instead, which is much lower precision and more prone to technical issues like banding. If it's important to avoid that, you can set the white point (brightness and color) in the monitor's OSD, and then run DisplayCAL at profile only / no calibration. This leaves the video card alone. The profile will take care of color accuracy, much better than the calibration can - but it will only work with color managed software. It's a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sorry, this is too technical. I’m trying to research all the words that I don’t know but I’m in confusion (yes, I’m limited). So DisplayCAL is an Eizo application? How can I choose “Display only”? Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DispalyCal is a third party application - I never tired it but I guess it offers "display only" . basICColor display offers that too as "calibration only no LUT" but i don't receommend it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's easy to get confused by Internet forums, but I hope you've found the right place now where we can help you.

Although - when you write "I can't waste too much time to learn all this staff." it's not a great place to start from, to be honest.

If it's important to you that your screen is right [and it should be] then calibration and profiling is something vital for your work. The volunteers here will help you, but you will need to take some time yourself to get this right.

Right, here goes:

Only Eizo Coloredge screens can use the Eizo Colornavigator software. So forget that.

Your Flexscan screen has no included sensor for calibration and profiling.

So, you'll need a sensor to measure the screen [normally a colorimeter] - e.g. the X-Rite i1 Display Pro, or, at a lower cost a Spyder.

I've seen reasonable results with the lowest cost Spyder 5 when upgraded by using basICColor display spftware. basICColor display is a great screen calibration and profiling software, but it doesn’t come free with sensor. 

[reveal of interest: I am a basICColor reselller]

In my 20 years in colour management I have never seen insurmountable issues caused by the use of video LUT's in screen calibration. It's certainly worth adjusting at least brightness [and maybe R,G and B channels] manually (using the screens onboard controls) as guided by the calibtation software - after that I always allow the calibration software to make an LUT. Then it makes a profile for use by applications such as Adobe Photoshop.

To explain an LUT [look Up Table] 

On the computers own video card there is a place where an LUT can be loaded*. An LUT is a bit like a photoshop curve pack (one for each channel) used to set the screen to the parameters selected in the software and to graybalance it throughout the tonal range.

*When a display has no "hardware calibration LUT" [coloredge screens do, a Flexscan does not] the calibration software will create a calibration LUT before making the ICC profile. I've been calibrating screens that way for 20 yaars. Its my job. 

I hope this works for you

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello NB, you’re right for sure. I’m sorry but I was on a trip so I didn’t had time to reply to all the extremely helpful and kind answer from this forum. But I’m here now to understand more with your help (that is free, and this is amazing).

Sorry, what do you mean with “Lut to make a profile to use with app like Photoshop”? Is not for the monitor generally?

So I can’t create an internal monitor LUT because of a FlexScan monitor, then I’m obligated to make the LUT in the laptop video card. The softer that you mentioned “basICColor” do that with the sensor that I have to buy right? I’ll consider this software if is not super expensive.

I’m quiet confused about the story of the Calibration Software that create the Calibration LUT before the ICC Profile..

Thank you so much for the super exhaustive answer. It starting to be a little bit cleaner 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the helpful answer to me, such a great answer posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Hello NB, you’re right for sure. I’m sorry but I was on a trip so I didn’t had time to reply to all the extremely helpful and kind answer from this forum. But I’m here now to understand more with your help (that is free, and this is amazing).

Sorry, what do you mean with “Lut to make a profile to use with app like Photoshop”? Is not for the monitor generally?

yes the profile is for the monitor 'generally', although some applications are not colour management aware.

So I can’t create an internal monitor LUT because of a FlexScan monitor, then I’m obligated to make the LUT in the laptop video card.

corrrect, that’s what I advise

The softer that you mentioned “basICColor” do that with the sensor that I have to buy right? I’ll consider this software if is not super expensive.

yes, basICColor display works with a sensor that you have to buy 

I’m quiet confused about the story of the Calibration Software that create the Calibration LUT before the ICC Profile..

well, its relatively simple.

First step is to decide what targets to use for calibration, i.e. white point  (expressed as colour temperature) and luminance (expressed in Candelas per square metre) - your software will likely have default options as a starting point. basICColor display does.

1: using the sensor to read the screen values - the Calibration and Profiling Software [e.g. basICColor display] guides you to manually adjust the display's own controls such as brightness

2: you then start the process and the software first makes a calibration which is loaded to the video card

2b: the software then progresses to making the ICC profile [which descrices thew calibrated device at applications that use colourmanagement (e.g. Photoshop)

important tip - you must NOT use "mirror displays" in system preferences / displays / arrangement. if you do the software cannot apply colourmanagement correctly to each display

Thank you so much for the super exhaustive answer. It starting to be a little bit cleaner

good to have your appreciation, thanks for that

I hope this works for you

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I'm sorry, I'm back on this issue.

I would like to have your opinion on the best option that I can choose to calibrate decently this monitor. I'm sorry but I don't understand what exactly is the best option.

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried any of the above-suggested solutions?  All were very good suggestions, that would apply to the EIZO display also.  

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob, I would like to try but I didn't understand what exactly I have to do. I'm really stupid on this things and I wish to have just some steps to follow.

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the response from the Eizo Support:

"The monitor does not have calibration software or a sensor. The only adjustment software we have for this monitor, is available for older OS's. I cannot recommend any 3rd Party Calibration Software and hardware to calibrate the monitor.".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you need is an external calibration system, such as those recommended above.  X-Rite, BasICC Color.  Spyder system etc.  The cost starts around 200 dollars and goes up from there.  Anyone of them will do a good job of calibrating your display.  Just make sure the monitor is in a windowless room with controlled or very dim lighting or all the calibration in the world won't help you.  

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what about all the software sujested above like DisplayCAL? Do I have to be carefull to something?

Thank you so much for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sensor do you recommend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used most of them and I do not see much difference, just make sure you make version 4 profiles for your display.  Those will provide the highest accuracy.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...but also the most problems. There are lots and lots of reports about problems with v4 profiles, probably because some software don't write the profiles according to spec. Changing to v2 often corrects those problems.

The general consensus everywhere is that version 2 is the safe option. Version 4 may well be a "better" spec, but that doesn't help if the application chokes on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• No experience with bad v4 monitor profiles here.  So then I'd recommend going with an X-rite solution.  Their v4 profiles obey the ICC specifications.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob!

I ordered the X-Rite Pro. Any suggestion reguarding the software?

I hope Amazon will deliver it in a reasonable timing, there are a lot of issues here :(.

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use it with the included software (i1Profiler) for now. Keep it simple.

DisplayCAL is pretty advanced software with a wide range of options (that most likely won't make any sense to you now). You can always try that later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much D_Fosse, you've been super kind, seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i1 Display Pro comes with i1Profiler software and it is quite easy to use.  No worries, give it a try and make sure your Adobe color settings are correct.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ehy Bob, how can I be sure about my Adobe Color settings? I'm sorry for my ignorance..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines