Exit

version 4 icc converted to version 2 profile

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, when closing a file from illustrator to PDF i received this message:
version 4 icc converted to version 2 profile

what it means and what should i do? will it affect the print?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe decided years ago to freeze its support for ICC profile advancements.  They will instead convert ICC version 4 profiles to version 2 which saves Adobe money.  ICC version 4 profiles can be created as version 2 if done correctly (which Adobe does) and will match the output of Version 4 profiles. so no worries.  They have decided not to support ICC MAX which is spectral ICC profiling instead of using CIELab as the profile connection space.  That decision stops any of the benefits to the printing and publishing industry.  ICC Max has taken off in the medical field, leading to some amazing medical breakthroughs, specifically in cancer research.  

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ll be happy for more explanation:

I don’t understand way in some files it appears and some don’t,

I thought it’s got to do with my pictures on the files (which I got from varies companies)

and changed it profile to my workspace profile. This time – it didn’t help.

Can I overcome it?

I still don’t understand why it appears to bean with…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned above, it is a feature that Adobe added many years ago when the ICC moved to v4 profiles. 2009 if I remember properly. There is nothing to overcome.  The process is internal and the warning is meaningless. It should not occur because the user can not affect the process at all.  It only appears when v4 profiles are embedded.  No reason to be concerned or make any changes. 

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your answers and patient!

I would like to ask 1 more thing:

You wrote “It only appears when v4 profiles are embedded”.

Is it something in my files that embedded this profiles,

or it happen automatically from Adobe,

and I don’t have any control over it?

If I do have control on that – and it embedded by me –

what did I need to notice when making a file to not have it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both RGB and CMYK images should have embedded profiles.  Embedded profiles represent how an image appears or the visual intent.  Embedding ICC profiles is the de facto standard and should always be done.  When receiving RGB or CMYK images the embedded profile tells a calibrated system how to display that image on the monitor.

The warning is a nuisance created By Adobe and should be made to go away by the same, but not embedding profiles because of Adobe's warning is a horrible workflow and not a trad-off for Adobe's aggravating pop-up warnings.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s not like I have control on embedding those profiles’ right?

It’s done automatically (whether I get this notice or not) right?

So I don’t have a way to harm it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the choice to embed profiles, but to go without will either ruin your workflow or if you send your files to anyone else it will ruin theirs.  So you may choose to not embed profiles during the save process.  

Screen Shot 2023-08-30 at 7.09.14 AM.png

But that will harm your workflow or anyone else who receives your files will receive "Mystery Meat" with no visual intent that will allow them to use the file properly.  I will always advise against that.   Instead, I will put in a feature request to remove this warning as a needlessly burdensome dialog box that causes people to question their workflows.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot you send is from Photoshop.

Where can I see it in illustrator (while saving for PDF)?

I will listen to your advice of course J

For who can I wright about this comment? Adobe?

Again,

Thank you for your patient and answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the color settings.  But all of the latest standards profiles are v4  So I would not recommend changing them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

btride_0-1693808944592.png

V2

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines