• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

missing printing profiles

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The profiles for my canon printer no longer appear in the print dialog box. I have looked in the color sync folder and cannot find them. What profiles are recommended for printing to an inkjet printer from photoshop CC 2020? Do I still need the specific icc profiles provided by paper and printer manufacturers?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Mac, right? 

Have you ever seen those profiles? And they disappeared? Maybe you upgraded the OSX operating system?

In any case, you are right to think that to use "Photoshop Manages Color" properly (to make accurate prints) you need access to the printer manufacturer's paper specific profiles, since you need to select the relevant paper profile in that dialog.

Using "Printer Manages Color" should be OK, as long as the printer driver is correctly installed, because that process [based on the media type selected] calls upon ICC printer profiles from a different installed folder [usually a hidden one, so they don't get deleted inadvertently].

Removing [system preferences / printers] and reinstalling [from a new download] the Canon driver software may help, if not try the tips below, sorry they are written for Epson but it's likely Canon place their profiles similarly.

Epson printer profiles missing in Photoshop

Epson ICC printer profiles are missing in Photoshop after updating  OSX.

To resolve this issue, reset the printing system in your Mac's system preferences and then add your Epson printer again. 

1. Reset the printing system.
    For instructions, refer to Apple's support documentation: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203343#reset

2. Reinstall the printer driver and then add it in your Mac's system preferences / printers

3. Relaunch Photoshop.

Still missing?

Missing Epson profiles in Photoshop on Mac

Did you select Photoshop manages color in the “print” dialog?

this should provide you with a list of all the ICC printer profiles on your system

Epson puts them in some hidden folders, but normally Photoshop can "see" them.

You may be able to find the profile 

Here's some Mac tips, just in case Photoshop can't find the Epson profiles:

I had to search for these myself on a client site once, took me quite a while. It means I now know how to find them

basically they are in the 

“hard disk name”/library/ printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/ [inside a “package”]

Not the username/library/ 

NB__colourmanagement_2-1590821831737.jpeg

in ICCProfiles (see above) is a folder, e.g:  Epson Stylus Pro 4900_4910.profiles

you right click on it [or control click] and select "show package contents"

A contents folder appears

Now look inside that in  the ”resources" folder. 

see screen shot below

they are the icc profiles used in the Epson driver [driver colourmanagement], 

SO don't move them 

but you can copy to your normal ICC profiles folder which is in the system library

[ computer name/hard disk name/Library/Colorsync/Profiles ]

NB__colourmanagement_3-1590821831739.jpeg

can you see them in Photoshop's print dialog under "Photoshop manages color" now

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain the thread title and the chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this very thorough answer Neil. 

Unfortunately, this didn't resolve my issue. The Canon profiles had shown up before and I'd used them for a few years. I followed your suggestions, first reinstalling the printer software with the most up to date driver. No luck. Next I opened the files in the library as directed. There were no icc profiles in it! 

Could it be that Canon no longer sends profiles to support their inkjet papers? What would be the best profile to use if that were the case? Matchh the color space profile?

Thanks for your help, Nina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nina

If by "color space profile" you mean using the image color space as a printer profile - sadly that’s not going to work. 

You really do need specific paper profiles for the printer, this is a question for Canon support - I feel they MUST install their profiles somewhere, or their driver software would not have access to them in the "printer manages color" process.

https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/inkjet/pixma/software/icc-profiles/

As I understand it, 'printer manages color' hands CM over to the print driver, which then selects the manufacturer's profile in the background based on your selection in media type

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines