• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proof Creation for Gamuts ?

Advisor ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do create a proof setup for ACES, particularlly ACEScg as well as HDR. So that I can aslong as the display can display either gamut, luminance; what colors may be clipped by the display ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

https://community.acescentral.com/t/aces-photoshop-friendly-workflows/1369

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of colour may be clipped unless you have a very capable display

An application like the excellent colorthink alows you to plot in 3D the various colorspaces (including the accurate ICC profile you made of your own calibrated display [you did do that, right])

I believe that ACES also has a massive potential luminance - you're not going to be able to simulate that without as very capable display 

I hope this helps

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Color Management Board.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was informed I could create a proof setup in Photoshop then whatever colors which are outside of the gamut for the display device, Photoshop could show those colors ?

It sounds as if this is not possible and the only way to do this is though the software colorthink ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Out Of Gamut Overlay in Photoshop and Lightroom

In this 25 minute video, I'll cover everything you need to know about the Out Of Gamut (OOG) overlay in Photoshop and Lightroom. You'll see why, with a rare exception, you can ignore this very old feature and still deal with out of gamut colors using modern color management tools. 

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00O-GTDyL0w

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/OOG_Video.mp4

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the out of gamut warning work on ACES ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACES is Elements? 

Whatever, OOG overlay isn't very useful. It predates soft proofing and ICC color management introduced in 1998. The idea at the time was, show an overlay for colors (usually for CMYK) that fall outside the color gamut of (at the time), your display. Use the sponge tool or similar to desaturate until the OOG is gone thus putting the image into gamut. It's slow, crude and also sometimes buggy. You'll deal with OOG colors faster, more precisely using an actual ICC profile and a selection of a rendering intent based on the soft proof you visually prefer. 

The only benefit I can even consider for OOG is to show someone else, who knows very little about color management or image processing why, their printed piece doesn't match the display in terms of saturated colors that simply cannot be reproduced due it falling outside color gamut. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACES in Elements; I mean the ACES gamut or Rec2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Photoshop works on ICC profiles. ACES color management works differently, using monitors calibrated (not profiled) to a standard.

I suppose it might be possible to build an ICC color profile describing whatever space you like, provided you know the primaries, gamma, etc then use Photoshop's proof colours to show out of gamut colours. However I'm not sure how you could handle the extended dynamic range.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to take a look at the link below for a discussion on the integration of Photoshop into an ACES color workflow:

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I mentioned that article earlier,

I am surprised it didn't contain the help the OP needed, espacially the part Alex Fry added Jan 25,  it seems quite useful to me but iof course I've not tried it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I missed that Neil.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Gamut Warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines