• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tired of color desat when opening in Bridge/Lightroom. HELP!

Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going insane in my attempt to keep consistent color management through all areas. Everything was fine, color was great, prints were matched to calbration, monitor calibrated, and then....I rebooted the computer since I hadn't done so for a week, and when I restarted Bridge, and Lightroom (yields same results), the color immediately drains from the photos. Similar to the screenshot, however when I initially created this screenshot, Bridge was still accepting the color. Now, the desaturation exists in all Adobe programs. (PS CS5, camera raw, bridge , lightroom 3.  I feel like I'm going in circles here. I have no clue what could have changed with the reboot. One thing I have noticed is that in Window before a photo image is generated in a folder is shows as a paint pallette. And, when asked in Windows Color Management of the program I would like to use to install a profile, I am give Microsoft Color Management System (which to my understanding is designed for Vista or XP). Tried to delete the program but was denied. Not sure if that has anything to do with it either.

If you have any insight and can help me stop the madness I would be so greatly appreciative!!

Thanks!

Windows7

U2410 Dell Ultra Sharp Monitor

Photoshop CS5 64-bit

Adobe Lightroom 3

Camera RAW

Adobe Bridge

NIVIDIA FX 580

Screenshot.jpg

colormanagement.jpg

WindowsColorManagement.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 117 Replies 117
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Connie,

Could you confirm that the colors in this image only look desaturated in the Adobe applications?  If you open this image in internet explorer, for example, does it appear to have the same appearance as it does inside of the Adobe applications now?

I notice that "Use Windows display calibration" is checked on in your screenshot.  Are you calibrating your monitor through the OS or using a 3rd party calibration device?  Would you mind confirming that the profile you expect to be applied to the monitor is set as the default in the "Devices" tab of the color management dialog window?  The profile should appear in the device's profile menu with "(default)" tagged to the end of its name.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2010 Oct 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, MJorts!

The issue only occurs in Adobe products and which of course is the worst place for it to occur. I did uncheck the windows calibration box, but it did not make a difference.Yes, my calibrated profile is set to default for the monitor.

The calibration was fine, I had somehow fixed this issue a few weeks ago, but it returned when I rebooted the computer.

any ideas??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Connie,

Have you had any luck with this issue yet?

Could you tell me what type of tools you're using to calibrate your monitor?  I think a user mentioned this on a different thread, but it looks like this might be related to calibration issues with wide gamut monitors, which could have an effect on color managed applications.  Are you calibrating the monitor with a 3rd party calibration tool, or are you using a manufacturer supplied display profile?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your image files properly tagged?  I. e. do they have the correct color profile actually embedded in them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not exactly sure of the answer to your question.

The color profile or the embedded color has never changed. By that I mean that I have never physically changed any in camera settings. There were no changes made to any of the software, monitor calibration, system color, etc... -This just occurred. It had happened once before (about 3 months ago) I was into about the 3rd week of working on my new system, everything had gone fine, and then out of no where, whenever I would load any photos into Bridge, or Lightroom the color would suck right out of the images.

I have posted at length all of the stratagies I have tried.http://forums.adobe.com/message/3249286#3249286

Right now, the "highest level" of Adobe support is searching for a solution. I was told last Monday that they would be back with me in 3 to 4 days. Today makes one week. This issue is not new to Adobe, it can be found on practically every photography forum online, and none of them has ever yielded a solution. It is very discouraging, and has paralyzed my productivity. What's worse, is trying to explain to my clients why I am unable to deliver their prints to them as promised. If adobe support doesn't understand the issue, how on earth could I expect a client to understand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Connie,

I read the forum thread link you posted.  On the surface it sounds like your images are appearing less saturated in color managed applications because their embedded profiles are being respected and converted from the embedded profile to the monitor space instead of having the RGB numbers in the images interpreted directly to the monitor space.

This could still potentially explain the issue for both a wide-gamut and a non-wide gamut monitor across different OS's, although I would think it might be more pronounced on a wide-gamut monitor.

This could also occur in a situation where images are untagged.

Could you tell me whether you're images are tagged or untagged, and if they are tagged what color profile they are being tagged with?

Here's how you can tell whether something is tagged or not in Photoshop (this is just one of a few different methods for finding this):

1. Open your image.

2. Window > Info, or hit the F8 key to open the Info panel.

3. Click on the menu options button in the top right corner of the info panel (looks like a triangle pointing down with three horizontal lines next to it) and enter Panel Options...

4. Under the Status Information section, uncheck all of the boxes, and then only check on "Document Profile", hit [OK].

The info panel should now give you a readout of what your current document's profile is (it should say something like "Adobe RGB 1998" or "Untagged RGB (8-bit)" or "sRGB IEC61966-2.1").

Please let me know what profile your images have (or if they are untagged) by using this method.

Also, I've confirmed on my Windows 7 machine that the "Paint" program is a non-color managed application.  Could you try opening an image in Paint and comparing its appearance to Photoshop?

Thanks for your patience!  I can explain what ICC color profiles are a little later, but I'd like to see first if this might be your issue, or at least confirm that it definitely isn't your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank again, MJorts.

The info panel reads: Adobe RGB (1998) (16bpc)

Microsoft paint renders the same color as Windows. When viewing non-edited images, color appears normal in Paint and Windows folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Connie.

This confirms that your images are tagged with Adobe RGB, and is in agreement with you previously mentioning that you didn't change any of your color settings.

The fact that you've seen this color behavior "pop back up" in certain applications after not making any changes to your system or software is still a mystery to me, but otherwise this could be expected behavior, for the technical reason that I gave in the previous post.  Even if it's a situation where nothing is technically "broken" in your system, there could still be some color management changes made to help you get the results you expect and want, but I think we still need more information.  Could you help me with a few more questions?

What is the file format you save these in?  I think you mentioned DNG?  Were you able to open these 16-bit files in Paint with the current file format?

What is the final output in your workflow, the final image file type or media that you give to customers?  How do customers view this media?  Through a browser, their computer monitor?

You mentioned in a different post that you use Spyder 3 Elite to calibrate your monitors?  Do you still have the "default" monitor profiles that were assigned to your monitors before you calibrated them with the Spyder?  Also, I see that your 2nd monitor was just labeled as "Samsung", do you happen to have the full model name for your other monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workflow typically consists of the following:

>Load NEF files from memory card directly into window folder, usually via Bridge to preview.

>I normally choose a NEF to open via Bridge, and then photo opens in ACR (Camera Raw)

>After basic adjustments, I open the photo in Photoshop CS5, apply edits and save as PSD

>Once I complete a session of photos, I batch process using "save for the web" srgb in order to post photos online for clients.

>If the photos are to be printed, then I wll batch process the PSD's as JPEG @ 10 quality.

*I again this morning calibrated my monitor with the Spyder3 Elite. Confirmed that the profile is set to default in the Color Management in Windows, for my Dell u2410 monitor. The profile is the only profile I have listed in Devices for the Dell monitor.

The secondary monitor is not used with this system. I had loaded the photos onto my previous computer with XP and CS3 photoshop to see if that made a difference, which it did not, and I used a different monitor when doing so.

I'm not exactly sure if I still have the Dell factory profile file, but I can re-install it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm,

The calibrated profile is probably fine, you could verify this by just unchecking the "Use my settings for this device" box in the Windows Color Management dialog, then close the dialog and perform the same comparison tests you've been doing.  This will use whatever the Windows default is ("default" meaning letting the OS choose your monitor's profile instead of having you manually select another to use as the "default", Windows color management wording is weird...)

I just recently got an HP Dreamcolor, another wide-gamut monitor, and I confirmed a similar behavior to what you're seeing by opening an untagged RGB image in Photoshop and then going to Edit > Color Settings and switching the Color Settings File (CSF) from North American Standard 2 to Monitor Color, I just kept the Color Settings dialog open with the preview checked on so I could see the color change switch on the fly.

What this test did was show me a comparison of the untagged image's RGB color values interpreted through sRGB space (North American Standard 2) vs. being interpreted directly by the monitor's color space (Monitor Color).  When interpreted directly through the monitor, the image's appearance was much more saturated in color.

If your final output is the web, then embedding sRGB in your images is a safe bet (note that if you're using Save for Web, there are separate options to just convert the images to sRGB and leave them untagged vs. converting to sRGB and tagging them with sRGB, so that color managed applications will know that the RGB numbers in your images are meant to be interpreted through the sRGB color space.)

Color managment can be confusing, but you intuited the basics of it closely when you guessed that your images had some type of color "skin" attached to them.  This is basically what embedded profiles do, they create a meaning for the RGB numbers inside of your images, and allow color managed applications to detect what that meaning is and apply it properly for display.

RGB numbers are going to be displayed whether they have a specific meaning attached to them or not.  Hence an untagged image will just have its RGB numbers interpreted directly through the monitor space, which means the interpretation of these image colors is proprietary, its appearance will be unique to the RGB output signals of the monitor, and will look different when those same RGB values are used through the output signal of a different monitor.

What non-color managed applications basically do is treat every image as untagged, because they can't read or understand the meaning that's embedded in them through the color profile.

Since your final output is a web browser, your web browser would have to be a color managed browser to view images with embedded profiles correctly.  Apple Safari and the latest version of Mozilla Firefox both have color management and have it turned on by default.  Internet Explorer I believe is still unmanaged, and Google Chrome I'm not sure about.

If this is the correct behavior for what's happening with your setup, then a potential workaround would be to convert your final images in sRGB and then tell your customers to use a color managed web browser to at least have a chance at viewing colors close to what you're seeing in Photoshop (different monitors will still show variations still, but you'll have a much better chance with a color managed browser).

sRGB was traditionally associated with web images because monitors used to give a fairly close interpretation even if displayed through a non-color managed application.  Maybe that's not the case anymore with newer monitors...

Sorry for the length, but if this works, it will allow you to at least get your colors to a known state, so that if things still appear desaturated, but you know your customers will see the same thing, you'll be able to use color adjustments to give your images the look you want (there's other options, like using Prophoto RGB instead of Adobe RGB for your assigning profiles to your raw images, but that might require more explanation).

Hope this helps!  If you have more questions feel free to ask, and if you think the issue is something different, I'd be curious to know and investigate this further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your kindness and help is greatly appreciated, and a welcome change from what I have experienced on another thread within Adobe http://forums.adobe.com/message/3264010#3264010

Your explanation was fantastic, and I believe I have understand the concept. Unfortunately, I don't believe this is my resolution. I'm starting to wonder if there is one at all at this point. I believe I was too vague in my explanation of my final output for clients.

-Once I have completed all edit in Photoshop. I save the file as a high resolution jpeg (which is I believe has the color settings/profile that are set in Photoshop, which is Adobe RGB (1998). These are the files that are used to when ordering prints from my lab, and or printing to CD for copyright release to clients.

-I only convert to 'save for the web" srgb in order to upload to the web for online viewing.

-Unfortuantley, I cannot do any editing in any color managed software because the colors I see in these programs, which of course is the only way to edit, are completely incorrect.

Thanks you again, for your patience and your help.

~Connie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered something interesting last night that I hadn't noticed before, and I'm praying this is the problem. I normally view photos in Bridge using the "Essentials" workspace, which only shows the file name, and the photo thumbnail. Well, last night I was hitting different tabs and ended up choosing the Metadata workspace with content. Interestingly enough, in the file properties to in the left metadata window, the files reads:

Color mode: RGB

Color Profile: Adobe RGB (1998)

>In the content in the large pane, the photos read untagged undercolor profile.

However, when opened in ACR, the file reads Adobe RGB (1998), and reveals the same color profile in Photoshop, when using the info.

I proceeded to look back over all the files on my system, and all view generally the same way in Bridge, however some show color mode:RGB color profile:adobe rgb with the color profile in the content window showing "untagged".

**This scenario is very random, as some psd.show untagged, yet are tagged when opned in photoshop. Some NEF's read color mode:RGB and color profile untagged. It's really quite odd.

Could this be it? And if so, how on earth can I assign a profile to the 1,000s of photos on my system?

thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this behavior is part of your problem, but I can explain what you're seeing and it might help us move further along:

When you view the metadata of raw (NEF) image files in Bridge, you'll see them displayed as "untagged" because raw files by their nature don't contain embedded color profiles.  When you open raw files in ACR, the "Adobe RGB" you're seeing at the bottom of the screen is what would be called the "working space", you can think of this as the way ACR is taking the raw RGB values and interpreting them as some type of meaningful RGB numbers.  It's a little more complex than that, but in the end the colors you're seeing in your raw file in ACR are Adobe RGB color numbers, and when opened in Photoshop the new image gets "tagged" with the Adobe RGB color profile, so that Photoshop will now understand that the RGB numbers that make up this image are Adobe RGB numbers.

The way color managed Adobe applications work is that they're always assigning a standardized "meaning" to the color numbers found in image files.  If an image has an embedded color profile, then Photoshop will respect that meaning and use it to send those colors to the monitor display.  If the image is untagged (has no color profile) then the Adobe application will assign it a meaning, and this meaning is called the "working space", which is also a color profile that is either temporarily assumed or permanently embedded (tagged) to the image when opened in the application.

This is the nature of color management, it only does two things: 1. Assign meaning to digital color numbers.  2. Convert that meaning to other color spaces so that the color appearance, barring technical limitations, can be more-or-less maintained across different spaces and devices.

If your workflow only consists of opening raw NEF files in ACR, editing them in Photoshop, and then saving the output files for print/web/cd as jpegs with Adobe RGB tagged on, then it sounds like your whole workflow is done in Adobe RGB space.  This is fine for now.  What's important is that this shows that your color workflow is consistent and predictable.  This could also explain why Adobe's Tech Support, after taking over your system, could not find the root of your problem, since they can only control the software side of things.

Paradoxically, you mentioned that you can see the same behavior when using the same workflow on a different system.  This doesn't totally rule out a hardware issue, but it doesn't totally rule it in yet, either.

I think the Bridge forum thread you posted is headed in the right direction.  We need to understand your hardware's behavior, the OS settings you're using, and get a slightly better understanding of your full workflow.  Would you mind answering these further questions?:

1. The Bridge thread mentioned your monitor can be set to different "modes" by pushing a button on the monitor.  Could you tell me what mode you have selected when you profile the monitor, and if there are any settings you're allowed to choose inside of the Spyder 3 Elite profiling wizard, could you mention the choices you made (anything regarding gamma, color temperature, luminance level, etc...)?

2. Would you mind attaching screenshots of your settings in the Color Management dialog inside of the Windows Control Panel?  A screenshot of the Devices tab and the Advanced tab would be helpful.  If you've already posted these screenshots in a different thread, would you mind just providing the link to the thread?

3. After seeing these colors the way they are on your computer screen, have you tried viewing how these images look in their final output formats?  Have tried viewing how the prints of these images look, and how they look after you upload them to your website and view them in a browser?  Even though you don't like the colors the way you see them in Photoshop right now, seeing whether this color appearance is consistently reproduced in your final outputs could be a key factor in determining the solution to your issue.  Please give this a try if you haven't already.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MJOrts wrote:

1. The Bridge thread mentioned your monitor can be set to different "modes" by pushing a button on the monitor.  Could you tell me what mode you have selected when you profile the monitor, and if there are any settings you're allowed to choose inside of the Spyder 3 Elite profiling wizard, could you mention the choices you made (anything regarding gamma, color temperature, luminance level, etc...)?

This monitor allows user to set "preset modes" Standard, Mulitmedia, Game, Warm, Cool, Adobe RGB, sRGB, & Custom Color (which allow adjustments to gain, offset, hue, & saturation. I have my monitor is set to Standard (which does not offer any adjustments for user except, brightness and contrast)

The Spyder3 basically chose everything. I only adjusted contrast and brightness.

2. Would you mind attaching screenshots of your settings in the Color Management dialog inside of the Windows Control Panel?  A screenshot of the Devices tab and the Advanced tab would be helpful.  If you've already posted these screenshots in a different thread, would you mind just providing the link to the thread?

color2d.jpgcolord.jpg

3. After seeing these colors the way they are on your computer screen, have you tried viewing how these images look in their final output formats?  Have tried viewing how the prints of these images look, and how they look after you upload them to your website and view them in a browser?  Even though you don't like the colors the way you see them in Photoshop right now, seeing whether this color appearance is consistently reproduced in your final outputs could be a key factor in determining the solution to your issue.  Please give this a try if you haven't already.

I did have them printed just to be sure it wasn't just a mixup with how the photos were being viewed online and in non-color managed software. And of course, the prints match the unmanaged renditon, not even close to what I am viewing in color managed.

Does it matter that even after the prints are saved as PSD that they are still rendering "untagged" in Bridge?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this means anything, but I thought it was worth

noting. I had done minor adjustments to these files in Lightroom 3, then exported the files as high res PSD. Then batched to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 for the web.

untagged.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to reproduce the behavior of tagged psd images reading as untagged in Bridge, but only with really large (1GB, 16-bit) files...  That one might be a bug...

Hmmm, I don't think this is the issue I expected it to be with the answers you've given...  It's looking more and more like this is a bug instead of a designed behavior.

Could I ask you about the colors shifting on-screen?  So the colors first appeared correct (proper or expected saturation) in Lr/Br/Ps, and then at some point they shifted color appearance, on screen, without any modifications being made to the images, application settings, monitor settings, or OS?  When you reproduced this issue on that second computer you mentioned, did it do the same thing where you saw the colors shift right on screen for no apparent reason?  Was there a particular image you were using when this occurred?

A couple of last-ditch ideas:

1. Could you post a screenshot of your color settings in Photoshop?  Are you using Photoshop as a stand alone product or as a suite?  If you're using it as part of a suite and have suite color management enabled, would you mind sending a screenshot of the color settings from Bridge (provided the suite color settings are synchronized)?

2. Could you copy and paste your system info from Ps menu Help > System Info...?

3. Could you double check to make sure your graphics card driver is up to date?  Can you reproduce the issue if you disable Open GL Drawing in Photoshop? (Edit > Preferences > Performance..., check off OpenGL Drawing and re-open the images in question...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing I thought of:

Could you verify the appearance of the colors in a color managed browser like Firefox?  Try taking an image and opening it in both internet explorer and firefox to compare the appearance.  This should help determine whether the behavior is Adobe specific or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again...thank you so much!

I downloaded Firefox, and the images appear the same as in IE.

-The color shift is just seconds after the correct thumbnail is rendered. It virtually looks like the color is drained out of each photos one by one, like a row of dominos.

-The exact same thing occurred on the second system with different monitor and on CS3 Photoshop and CS5 Photoshop, Bridge and Lightroom.

-To my knowledge, nothing was changed anywhere on the system prior to this occurring. I know that I did not personally change anything. Now, because I am still new to Windows 7, Im not sure if there are updates that occur without my knowing, but I am not aware of anything.

Was there a particular image you were using when this occurred?

A couple of last-ditch ideas:

1. Could you post a screenshot of your color settings in Photoshop?  Are you using Photoshop as a stand alone product or as a suite?  If you're using it as part of a suite and have suite color management enabled, would you mind sending a screenshot of the color settings from Bridge (provided the suite color settings are synchronized)? --Stand alone product

photoshopcolor.jpg

2. Could you copy and paste your system info from Ps menu Help > System Info...? I'm afraid I'm not able to copy and paste the information here. Is there a "copy and paste" option available in the forum that I'm not aware of?Is there particular info that you are wanting to see, as there are 5 pages of info for the system.

sys2.jpgsysinfo.jpg

3. Could you double check to make sure your graphics card driver is up to date?  Can you reproduce the issue if you disable Open GL Drawing in Photoshop? (Edit > Preferences > Performance..., check off OpenGL Drawing and re-open the images in question...)

I had tried this step last week as well. Again, no change.

Below is another screenshot captured in the spilt second that the saturation reduces itself from the correct thumbnails.

sample).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't get the image to work at the end of the prior message. And again in this one...If you click on the (x) in the box above, it should reveal the enlarged photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images you tested that look the same in IE and Firefox, do they both look desaturated?  How does the appearance compare to how they look in Bridge and Photoshop?  Is their appearance the same as Photoshop?

It looks like the color shift would be expected behavior for Bridge since it takes a little time to read and apply embedded profiles to image thumbnails.  I tested and confirmed this behavior by looking at image thumbnails in Bridge and hitting [Purge Cache] in Edit > Preferences > Cache to watch the color shift happen over and over again.  When I switched the Bridge screen from my main monitor (wide gamut HP Dreamcolor) to a regular montior (some type of generic Dell monitor) I couldn't detect the color shift occurring when I purged the cache again.

It seems like everything could be behaving correctly, and it's just a matter of the wide-gamut monitor giving images a more saturated appearance by not reading the embedded profiles within the image.  This is still possible on a non-wide gamut, though it should be less noticeable.  As for the prints looking good, unless we know the color management and color adjustments made by your printer when they receive your images, we can't determine from the prints whether the Adobe applications are giving an incorrect appearance.

If your final output images edited in Photoshop look the same as what you get in Firefox, and if, under the given conditions in Photoshop, you can edit and adjust the colors of your images to get the appearance the way you want (while leaving color management settings the same) and you send these final edits out for print with the Photoshop appearance being the judging criteria for how decent the prints look, and they come back looking good, then I would keep your current setup and just use the appearance as you see it in Lr/Br/Ps as the judging criteria.  Even if the prints look bad, but the internet output looks like a close match to the Lr/Br/Ps output, I would still stick with that and then just work with the printer to tell them the appearance discrepancies and what you or the printer might be able to do to get a closer match.

I'm kind of surprised Lr doesn't look different from Ps and Br too, since they're default working space is Prophoto...

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, have you tried seeing how things look with the "Use my settings for this device" box unchecked in the Windows Color Management dialog?

A co-worker of mine thought your calibration device might be whacky.  Verifying the behavior with the OS-chosen CM settings would factor that out...

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images viewed on Firefox and IE are greatly oversaturated from what is viewed online.

webps.jpg

I also unchecked "Use my settings" in color management, and there was no change. I also tried switching users on OS, but no change as far as the effects.

I'm a little confused as to your suggestion for editing in Photoshop and keeping the settings the same. The printed image was from Walmart, since I needed to see if the issue was something other than what I was viewing on screen. The print matches the photos in the non managed spaces. Here is the print in every program and a scan as well of the actual hardcopy print.

fullscale.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 13, 2010 Nov 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Is there no one able to solve this mystery?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2010 Nov 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Connie,

Let me resume:

Non  colormanaged applications (like windows explorer) shows your images  right, managed apps like LR and Bridge, which have different  cache folders, shows them desaturated, even the previewed NEF.

Putting this  together, it can't a problem with the cache, harddisk, CF card. I mean, a  cache is a cache, and might needed to be updated from time to time, f.e.  when changing the monitor- or image profile. But I expect you always have done this.

That's it - most of the rest (the tests done) provides unreliable information, sorry. I'm aware that to most of them you were forced by others, so don't take my following statements to personal.

Nevertheless I believe what we see partitial is right: some of your images  are untagged (at least the PSD we see in one of the screenshots in here)

Untagged images should look the same  in IE and Firefox unless you set Gfx.color management.mode to 1 and assign the monitor profile to FF. Per default CM in FF is enabled for tagged images only and by this acts like IE <V9 on untagged images

Untagged sRGB should look oversaturated on wide-gamut monitors and browsers on which you can't apply a profile. Believe that is what you get.

You asked me

I'm confused which photos you viewed of mine that you found to be untagged?

all the images you presented in threads in here are untagged 😉

Some might think different about that, but IMHO images always should have an embedded profile, even sRGB JPEGs used for web. You already get some hints on that in the other thread and the links to Ballard - even when his webdesign is a bit odd, its worth reading.

I believe your issue is a combination of untagged images, a faulty monitor profile and maybe false handling.

As implied above, personaly I can't trust any of the tests here, because they are (including the browser test I mentioned) not consistant done - I will tell you why.

What you see next are three of the images you provided here, but stacked:

color.jpg

#1 (RGB/8*)*

here the second * indicates, that the image was altered (either bei assigning a colorspace or bei normal editing) after it was loaded and in a colorspace which is different from Photoshops working colorspace, which is indicated by the first *

#2 (RGB/8*)

indicates images colorspace is different from Photoshops working colorspace - that's fine when the working space is aRGB and the image f.e. sRGB

#3 (RGB/8)

no *, no # in here indicates it is in Photoshops working colorspace.

(RGB/8#) at the top would mean it is untagged, but when when colormanagement was OFF in that moment, it also would read as (RGB/8) or (RGB/16) (without an # or *) at the top, but "untagged" in the info panel at the bottom, even when the image has an embedded profile...

On the otherhand - and this is the important part - the Photoshop (import) settings you provided here, tells that your PS is at "preserve embedded profiles" BUT "ask when opening" at profile mismatches. By this you will be asked whenever an image profile mismatches the working colorspace.
The latter should be unchecked, anyway.

So what have you been doing, when you were asked for image #1 and #2? With this settings and since their colorprofiles are different from PS working space, you must have been asked and have assigned a profile different from working space or you haven't been asked (because images colorspace and the working space was the same) and you assigned a different profile initially later.

Or you have changed settings again and again when taking those screenshots....

When you say you see images as untagged in Bridge but in Photoshops info panel as "Adobe RGB (1998)" this can be, when a profile was added (assigned) after the image was imported to PS. Bridge will not know about that until you save the image.

Will say: those of us trying to help, never know exactly what they are here looking at (maybe without realizing)

Do we see a sRGB under an aRGB working space (RGB/8*) for #2? And #3, is this an aRGB image under an aRGB working space or a sRGB image under sRGB, (both would appear as RGB/8)? Or was the image untagged and colormanagement was off?

Seems a bit chaotic, sorry.

At least this is nothing on which I'ld be able to tell for sure what is going on.

Next: the monitor  profile you sent to me, turns my U2410 dark and too much purple/reddish.

Of  course there should be a differences (different monitor, different  environment light and my old eyes), but this is far to much - it hurt my eyes

As  far I know, LR internal uses the Melissa color space (which is larger  than aRGB)  - I wonder what happens when RAW were processed via Meliassa  to aRGB with a too reddish monitor profile and are saved as untagged  aRGB....?

I also wonder how LR can be configured to export to PSD without  they being tagged...?   Nevertheless, I was able to reproduce this once. For one of my PSDs the profile was removed, but at the moment I don't know how to reproduce that again.

As said just make sure you images are tagged. But don't just apply a profile to those images already processed, when you don't know what really happend to them - it might get worse.

Anyway.

To solve your prob, you should forget about LR for  now and remove the monitor profile made with the Spyder, set the DELL  profile which comes with the CD and process images from scratch.

Means  straight from NEF in one colorspace only -> via Photoshops ACR (output as aRGB and make sure aRGB is your  working space in PS), save them as PSD or TIFF and make sure they get tagged as aRGB. See if it makes a difference (color shift or not), when viewed  in Bridge.

If there is no shift, start over with calibrating your monitor. Calibrating means setting the hardware right, by making sure the monitor was set to aRGB and brightness and contrast was adjusted, before you profilling it with the Spyder.

If the problem still exists with this new profile and with images, which were processed by the above workflow and by the new conditions (make sure of that, the already processed images might be messed up) again let some one with an U2410 check the new profile.

If its still have a huge red shift on another U2410, it might point to a hardware fault (either Monitor or Spyder)

@MJOrts

I notice that "Use Windows display calibration" is checked on in your
screenshot. 

AFAIK this setting means, that Windows is loading the LUT and not a third-party LUT-Loader, coming with the profiling device.

Message was edited by: ablichter #1 (RGB/8*)* was edited - wasn't able to mark the wrong part by formating it <s>"striked"</s>, so I removed and corrected it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines