• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 Color Management questions

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently waiting for my new monitor to arrive. It is a BenQ sw320 monitor which is capable of displaying 99% of AdobeRGB and is also capable of being calibrated at the hardware level via their Palette  Master software and an x-rite i1 display pro. I intend to have it calibrated to adobeRGB for color critical photography work

My question is, since hardware calibrating the monitor stores that information on the monitor itself, what should the color management settings in windows be? Should I clear it from using any .icm profiles to make sure windows or my graphics card are not making any changes? or should it be using one provided by the monitor manufacturer or something?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ICC profile the software will create that defines the calibration will be set for you, nothing else to futz with.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but doesn't that only apply when creating a color profile (i.e. using x-rite's own software) where it basically makes changes at a software level, not to the monitor itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software will create a profile that contains a LUT (unless you’ve got a display that has this internally like my SpectraView) that will load the calibration to the display as the profile defines this condition.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the BenQ sw320 sets the LUT internally and you choose it via the OSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either way, there’s nothing more to do after calibration and profiling with the host software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And one more thing:

I intend to have it calibrated to adobeRGB for color critical photography work

You don't calibrate "to" anything other than the unit's native response. These emulations all restrict the monitor's capabilities in some way.

The monitor color space is what it is, it doesn't have to match anything. This is what the profile is for, to convert from the source color space into the monitor color space, whatever that happens to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines