Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thread title changes despite user clicking upper reply button

Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

its not a behaviour I like, but it seems if a user makes a nested reply (yes I hate those too) their message is notified out to subscribers on email [and in the latest posts list] with the top line of their message text as the new thread title. What were the programmers thinking!!

SO, when clicking the upper reply button to avoid nesting, this should not happen - the original thread title should be maintained. 

But in this particular case it's not: I have a thread titled:

"A Prioritised list of issues and bugs to "vote" on - RESTARTED" 

each time someone posts a reply to this thread the title of the email notification for subscribed users [and on latest posts list] is taken from the top line of their message text.

This breaks my thread because it loses its descriptive title.

Can it be fixed??

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net

[please do not use the reply button on a reply, only the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm moving this to the Community Feedback forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob

why move it, the back room seems the right place to report a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Just clarifying that this is an issue you're seeing with the email notifications and the subjects changing to be whatever the first part of the reply says instead of your original post title. Did I understand the problem correctly?  

Thanks, Melissa

Melissa Rios, Product Manager, Community Experiences & Platforms | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you have Melissa.

And it has been this way from the start of this system. It has also been Pointed Out many time.

Just another reason this Nested replying system has to GO AWAY. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Reply to my initial Nested Reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melssa

Hi Neil,

Just clarifying that this is an issue you're seeing with the email notifications and the subjects changing to be whatever the first part of the reply says instead of your original post title. Did I understand the problem correctly?  

Thanks, Melissa

Melissa Rios
Product Manager, Community Experience & Platform
Adobe | Customer Experience

yes you got it, despite using the UPPER reply button [not nesting] when folk reply to my 
thread [ORIGINAL] title is "A Prioritised list of issues and bugs to "vote" on - RESTARTED"
you'll see there that my latest reply (a test made using the upper reply button i.e. NOT a nested reply) has inherited a new title (with the words "Please paste: A Prioritised list of issues and bugs" from the top line of the latest message (not the original thread title) 
see the error below, "Please paste" was only in the reply not the original thread title.
Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 11.32.28.JPEG
I have 'fudged' it now to make the situation less damaging, by changing the "paste" phrase - so the title change on reply isn't so damaging
but
I can't imagine why it was thought advantageous to extract a new title from each message in a thread - but it seems that's how it works [even when not nesting] SOMETIMES. 
definitely a BUG - it should only happen when nesting (and cebvn then it's a terrible idea IMO)

surely a thread title should remain the same throughout it's life? 

and please please please get rid of nesting!
simple chronological threads are SO MUCH better

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net

[please do not use the reply button on a reply, only the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Testing title change in forum format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines