• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Am I imagining things?

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2010 Oct 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning I had some time to spare, and just for fun I decided to check if it was still impossible to change the language of the interface of these forums. Just to make sure I was doing things right, I went first to this FAQ with instructions that I knew did not work at the time, and even for months after been posted (which I had reported, as others but without any reaction):

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416450?tstart=30

As this FAQ had not been changed since it was posted, the instructions were the same that I remembered. I obediently went to look for the Region links at the top of the page, only to find that IT IS NO LONGER THERE, so there is now no way of changing the language of the interface. Or at least, one that I could find.

And then I noticed that this was not the only change up there. For example, the You are logged in as Claudio González line had also disappeared!. But this was not all. The best´part was that, marvel of marvels,

some of the enormous wasted space up there had been reduced, and I could see the titles of the first few threads without having to scroll down!!!

I was working on my new Mac and I thought that all this could be just a combined effect of a new computer, a new operating system, and a new browser, so I mover to my Win laptop, and I couldn't believe my eyes: everything I had seen was reproduced here as well!!

Then I remembered this thread for announcing updates in these forums, where I thought I was going to find a proud message announcing these changes:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433723?tstart=0

but no, last post there was from November 3, 2009 so...

Am I imagining all this? Am I witnessing the test phase of a change to come? Or have these changes actually been made in absolute secrecy? Whatever the answer, I must say that I very much welcome the reducing of wasted space up there, and I am most than happy not to have to scroll down to see the titles of the first threads.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed no change.

Presently, I can see the first two thread titles (one liners) in the forum.

Switching from FF to IE I can only see one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I know that at my age it i

s very likely that my memory is playing me dirty tricks. But I remember very clearly the "You are logged in..." line which is no longer there. And I also remember very clearly that, in my old fashione 3:4 monitor, I used to just barely see the top of the letters of the first title in the list of topics, while in the slightly "wider" screen of my laptop I saw no title at all. In other words, in both cases i was forced to scroll down to see the full (one line)title of the first thread.

And finally, this is most definitely not like it used to be:

Captura.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I must say I have never looked at whatever is at the top of the page, so I cannot say how it was.

I believe there may be differences caused by some hidden settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

You must have a small screen - on my work laptop I see the first 4 thread titles in this forum and the first 5 thread titles in the Photoshop forum  (currently using IE9 beta). Screen resolution 1900 x 1200

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acresofgreen wrote:

Jacob Bugge wrote:

You must have a small screen - on my work laptop I see the first 4 thread titles in this forum and the first 5 thread titles in the Photoshop forum  (currently using IE9 beta). Screen resolution 1900 x 1200

I have been using this same monitor with my Macs for the last two years, and my present Win laptoy is also two years old. I noticed the other day that I was seeing the titles of the first few threads in this forum on both screens, when previously I could see none in either. I also noticed at the same time the changes in the top of the page that I described in my first message.

I would therefore venture to say that the observed changes are not in the least related with screen size or resolution, as I have changed neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for saving me the bother of starting a new topic Claudio. Much though I like our hand-painted town sign I don't want it in the left hand column too much.

During the recent slowness they have certainly done some cleaning up – top and bottom. I also notice now that being logged into the forums does not automatically log me in to Adobe.com. There is also this new line of links at the bottom.

It is some kind of progress, but not where it's needed most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The items up top seemed to be different don't have all that dropping down all over every thing if accidently mouse over a menu option Hurray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

I [...] went to look for the Region links at the top of the page, only to find that IT IS NO LONGER THERE, so there is now no way of changing the language of the interface. Or at least, one that I could find.

The Choose your Region link is now at the bottom of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

I [...] went to look for the Region links at the top of the page, only to find that IT IS NO LONGER THERE, so there is now no way of changing the language of the interface. Or at least, one that I could find.

The Choose your Region link is now at the bottom of the page.

So it is; I hadn't noticed. In any case, using it does not produce any change whatsoever in the language of the interface of the forums...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it (Choose your Region), selected 日本 under Asia Pacific, and immediately everything displayed in Japanese.  Selecting Pacific English everything went back to normal (English).

What language are you unsuccessfully trying to set?

P.S. I am on Windows XP using Firefox 3.6.10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, when one changes the language by the procedure you mention, one is not taken back to the forums, but to the adobe.com site; and the fixed text there is changed to the language one chose, as you say. However, on coming back to the forums, everything is back in English . That is, there is no procedure to change the language in these forums that I have been able to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried Brasil, and things changed to português.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another item that seems to have disappeared from the top is the warning that Attachments are (temporarily) disabled.

However, when trying to post I don't see anything that allows to insert attachments (aside from images).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

Another item that seems to have disappeared from the top is the warning that Attachments are (temporarily) disabled.

However, when trying to post I don't see anything that allows to insert attachments (aside from images).

Good point; I didn´t remember about that warning. And that would account for one more line available for thread titles (on second thoughts, probably more than one, as I seem to remember that that the warning was written in a larger typeface).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, the reason for that is:

a) The disabling is no longer temporary, but the software will not allow the partial removal of a notification (in this case (temporarily)), so everything has to go,

or

b) The notification was itself an attachment, so it was finally disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Obviously, the reason for that is:

a) The disabling is no longer temporary, but the software will not allow the partial removal of a notification (in this case (temporarily)), so everything has to go,

or

b) The notification was itself an attachment, so it was finally disabled.

I at least would not have the cheek to keep calling temporary in October anything disabled temporarily since February 22.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines