• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone know of a way to block "l.addthiscdn.com" when accessing Adobe forums ? dave?

Mentor ,
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately I've noticed my browser(s) hanging forever with a message in the status bar proclaiming something like "transferring data from l.addthiscdn.com". 

Does any one know of a trick to stop this?  Perhaps in GreaseMonkey, Stylish, Adblock or whatever?

Thanks in advance.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

i'd be shocked if it wasn't extremely similar, or even exactly like that. the hosts file is common to connecting to internet using tcp/ip. same across windows and unix (and therefore mac).

good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example of a poor web site owner whose site is experiencing delays from l.addthis.com , a related deal:

http://www.addthis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37121

so it's obviously something the web site administration has to imbed in their code—or something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 23, 2011 Dec 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmmm…  it appears to be connected to Akamai Technologies:

http://www.robtex.com/ip/184.87.149.115.html

So the Adobe store seems to be the ultimate culprit, as that is what they use to sell Adobe software via download.  .  Bummer.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote:

Hmmmmm…  it appears to be connected to Akamai Technologies:

http://www.robtex.com/ip/184.87.149.115.html

So the Adobe store seems to be the ultimate culprit, as that is what they use to sell Adobe software via download.  .  Bummer.  

The akamai downloader installer has always been a piece of Cr**. The company should be run out of business. You go to download something, it takes 5-10 times longer to download anything through it, than be downloaded straight from and FTP site.  I can see paint dry and age a year in the time it takes anything to download by Akamai. they still must be using 14.4 K baud technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does any one know of a trick to stop this?  Perhaps in GreaseMonkey, Stylish, Adblock or whatever?

don't need to use any of that.  The simplest way is to enter this in your hosts file:

127.0.0.1   l.addthiscdn.com

The hosts file is in your windows folder.  In XP the location is at this link:

<C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc>

The file can be edited in any text editor.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JTANNA wrote:

…The simplest way is to enter this in your hosts file:

127.0.0.1   l.addthiscdn.com

The hosts file is in your windows folder.  In XP the location is at this link:

<C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc>…

Thanks for your good faith attempt to help.  However, I don't do Windows.  None of that remotely applies here.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EF_search_host.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the link below offer any clues?

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-283335.html

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 29, 2011 Dec 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, dave.  That will let me search for how to do it in Tiger, which is what I prefer because it's a much snappier cat on my machine than Leopard. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'd be shocked if it wasn't extremely similar, or even exactly like that. the hosts file is common to connecting to internet using tcp/ip. same across windows and unix (and therefore mac).

good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a bunch, dave!  It seems that I've succeeded in permanently nuking the f*#^! Akamai (addthiscdn.com and/or l.addthiscdn.com) permanently thanks to your guidance above—but bypassing the Terminal altogether

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Message was edited by: Tai Lao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines