• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How well does the forum handle IE11 that's part of the Windows 10 Technical Preview?

LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not so much asking others as testing with this new post.

Supposedly IE11 now has a different engine for a small minority (something like 10%) of testers, though I don't know if I'm one of them.  I presume not.

I noticed the following while editing this...

When I insert an image, it still goes at the top of the post and I have to drag it into position.  In other words, still bad behavior as in Windows 8.1.

NewIESmileyIcon.png

If I enter a line with a hyphenated word such as abc-def then come back to edit it, I see weirdness and unexpected cursor jumping, and even truncation (it was difficult to get this all typed).

Basically, nothing's any better than it has been for a year or two now.

Sigh.

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a "Windows 10" being tested already?  ?? !

Did I miss a Windows 9 at some point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, along with everyone else.

Microsoft is finding it too hard to do things of substance to make Windows better (literally, it appears to be beyond them to do), so their Marketing folks (think "the dark side of the force") are doing everything they can to make the next release of Windows - which really looks like about an 8.2 version so far - seem distant and very different from the debacle that's Windows 8 / 8.1.

In an attempt to distance themselves greatly from Windows 8, they decided not to even try to call it Windows 9.  Some say they wanted no confusion whatsoever with Windows 9x (e.g., 95 and 98).

As though the name makes any difference whatsoever.

I use Windows 8.1 now 100%, and it's been possible - with a great deal of tweaking and 3rd party software - to make it into a pretty good operating system for serious work.

Unfortunately, so far Windows 10 seems to have pretty much the same characteristics.  It's really almost no different at all - as I mentioned, about like an 8.2 release, which is I believe what they were going to call it before Marketing stepped in and said "OMG, Windows 8 is a flop, we can't afford to call anything else Windows 8".

I believe we're seeing the end of the Windows era.  It's too bad there's no good replacement.  Someone will come up with something I imagine.

Note:  on re-reading this, it sounds like I'm trying to mean this as a dig against OS X.  That's really not my intent, but OS X simply doesn't stand ready to take over business computing.  Perhaps it can become the next great OS, but I really have no love for Unix after almost 40 years of exposure to it.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your response and your lucid report, Noel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found about:flags and enabled the new browser rendering engine (it's not clear it wasn't enabled before, as it was on "automatic").

I'm trying editing this post, using sure traps like hyphenated-words to catch the editor doing things wrong.  Hm, not too many problems editing this sentence,

I'm also trying inserting pictures.

Image.png

Wow, it actually didn't insert at the top of the file, but right where I told it to.

Only quirk is that the "pencil" menu keeps popping up on its own while typing.

PopsUp.png

Figures.  FINALLY get some relief from the old bugs and some new nasty bug rears its head.  It's not progress if the bug count remains the same, or the new bugs are more intrusive than the old ones!  Sigh.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines