• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Now have to sign in every time to forum

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use several fora, but these days I'm mostly in the Lightroom forum. I've been saving the URL when signed on so that by clicking on favorites I automatically end up in the forum already signed on.

I got prompted a few days ago to associate my Adobe userid with my forum id.

Since doing that I always end up in guest mode and have to sign on every time. I tried resaving the URL (once signed on), but that doesn't seem to work either.

I log into the forum daily from the same computer and it's irritating to have to continually supply my id when it was not previously required.

Is this the way it is? Can be be fixed? Or, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks very much,

Selby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to bet that you have to go to a whole 'nother site to access your product registrations. Even if they use the same log in info, as long as you don't leave it open in the store itself, people won't be able to get there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the actual user names and passwords being somehow compromised?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Adobe ID is not stored on this system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Passwords are not stored in clear form. Even a top level system administrator has no way to find or figure out your password. That's why we have to send you a new temporary password if you forget the current one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> That's why we have to send you a new temporary password if you forget the current one.

Ok :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2009 Feb 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dorothy,

Does this post mean that I can do something in IE6, which I use for easy archiving, to avoid having to login every time I restart the PC/browser?

DorothyK, "Here we go again" #55, 19 Feb 2009 1:56 pm

If so, what, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone know how to get to that link that asked you to give your adobe username and then your Forum name.

Maybe I can get the G4-500 to go through set up so I don't have to sign in. I went through that on my now toast PowerBook then never had to sign in again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, as far as I can tell, it's magic. It works for some but not for others. I don't know all the variables nor how they interact. I can only suggest people keep comparing things until a pattern emerges. If someone comes along that can answer the questions, I'd be happy to welcome them in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 22, 2009 Feb 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pj, I don't think there's any connection between linking your IDs/forum names, and the log-in issue. Just they happened at the same time. At the moment, if you aren't logged in, you *should* see that screen about linking, I think.

That's why people have to log in each time, so Adobe can make them look at the linking screen over and over till they give in and do it.

At least that was the theory ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I am confused. I have read through several of these threads and I don't understand the status of the "cookie issue". Here is what is happening to me (still today, 22-Feb-2009):

On my PC at home with WinXP and Firefox 3.0.6, I must still log on every time I start browsing anew (in other words, I have either shut down Firefox completely beforehand or I have shut the PC off and turned it back on). I have tried flushing existing cookies and still the same behavior. I have made sure that cookies are stored for adobeforums.com in FF preferences.

On my PC at work with WinXP and IE6, the forums continue to remember me as they always have and no re-logon is required.

Can someone explain this?

Should remembering my userid be active again as of now (22-feb-2009)?

If it should be and isn't, does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix it with Firefox?

If remembering userid has still not been enabled since last weekend, will it be re-enabled before activation of the new forums?

Why does my PC at work (IE6) still remember and my PC at Home (FF) not?

Would it be possible for Adobe to create a FAQ answering these cookie/logon-related issues?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure if anyone understood it they would ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The change in the cookie to force people to associate their account here with an Adobe ID is what has resulted in login problems. They are directly related, tho it is an unintended consequence. Whether it's because they have yet to get it right is a question. I think a lot of people have gotten it, but are still being forced to log in. But I agree, we need someone to figure it out, then write up a FAQ to help everyone get it sorted properly. I think the task should be given to the cookie writing engineer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well on my Laptop which went belly up the other night I wasn't having any problem with signing in but I received the notice about. Changes on the way for forum and to accomadate changes we need for you do the following. The I had to give my Adobe Username or account name and Password, then I ent to another page and it asked for forum Id and password. then ticked remember me. From then on I was forever signed in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post at #14.

This remains confusing because, according to our best understanding (session vs permanent cookies), no one should NOT have to log in every time their browser is closed - including the computer being shut down. The primary exception would be a computer and/or browser that is set up with the id/password configured to auto-login.

> On my PC ..., I must still log on every time I start browsing anew

Is this what is actually happening? No one ever has to log in to browse; only to post. Perhaps you are referring to accessing features such as reading subscriptions; I hadn't thought of that.

> If remembering userid has still not been enabled since last weekend, will it be re-enabled before activation of the new forums?

Bottom line is we don't know for sure.

> But I agree, we need someone to figure it out, then write up a FAQ to help everyone get it sorted properly.

The problem is, if it weren't for those few (or many?) who seem to still (or again?) to have persistent cookies, it could be made clear. With them in the mix (and I am not one!), this remains confusing.

I get digests by email, open a browser window to get up to the minute posts and to write any responses, and leave that window open indefinitely. (IE 7, and new posts I open are a new tab.) I hibernate instead of shutting down, so my browser is not closed. It may be days before I am required to login again. So for this transition, I'm not unhappy. I think Adobe's gotten the feedback that continuing session cookies would be a VERY unpopular change. So I'm not going to worry about it.

> I think the task should be given to the cookie writing engineer.

Ha, ha! Perhaps, in this instance, we should refer to this person as the Cookie Monster!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since when do people read FAQs?

Seems the only people who do are often the people who need them the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since when do people read FAQs?

Seems the only people who do are often the people who need them the least, if only to direct the Anti-FAQers where to go to find an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well I've went to the Faq trying to find that link I went to to sign up that caused me to stay signed in even after computer shut down. and And it appears it is gone for good. In fact Live looked in all the help and all the main topic for the Forums announcement's. It as if it were a ghost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add my name to the list of those whose login does not
persist when closing my (IE7) browser.
And, add my vote to haveing it returned to "permanent."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>add my vote to haveing it returned to "permanent."

Did you read the FAQ messages and the other discussions here?

Nothing will work like it did before until the new forum software is activated

There is supposed to be a test version in March and the new version in April

Until then, figure you will have to login every time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 26, 2009 Feb 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... or not. B)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2009 Feb 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Double posting)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2009 Feb 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a funny new angle to the problem.

While on vacation, I have been using a laptop with Vista and the latest Explorer version, and every time I have visited the forums I have appeared as a guest. Then, when I have logged in, I have always been invited to link my adobeforums and Adobe accounts. I have refused every time because I wanted to get back home and do everything in my Mac, which is my main computer.

Well, I got back home last night and found that I had not switched off my Mac before leaving. I opened the Comments... forum, and saw that I had been correctly logged in. I attributed this to the fact that I had not switched off my machine.

I switched off my Mac before going to bed, and switched it on again this morning. I used my bookmark to come to the Comments... forum and was automatically logged in!!! No invitation to link accouns, nothing. I have closed my browser, reopened it, etc, and nothing; no change at all. However, if I try to come in using my laptop, I am received as a guest.

I wish somebody could explain to me what is happening here.

Mac OS X 10.3.9, Firefox 2.0.0.20.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2009 Feb 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Laptop PB17 before it died on SeaMonkey (equiv to Thunderbird and FireFox Rolled into one) I never had to sign in. But I had a message come up to fill in name the email address the screen name. Once I filled n that form and made sure I checked remember me. I to never had to re-sign in.

Yet people here either thought it was funny, or was lying. Now you know even after the swear that cookies are set to session only cookies if you do a certain thing in the right order then they are not.
OH , my systems are 10.4.11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Yet people here either thought it was funny, or was lying.

How do you know what people thought? I ask because I don't recall anyone calling you a liar.

Maybe your problem is that you don't explain very clearly what you want to say, and that you also tend to repeat the same things in differents threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No not outright. But it was obvious from some of the responses that it was implied.

By the way. I didn't imply necessarily that you did.

while I am not a Harvard, Yale or MIT PhD. I post from my use and experience in using the forums, or the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines