Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Real name instead of Screen name displayed

Community Expert ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since the recent change in the UI of these Jive forums, suddenly my real name 'Lieve Weymeis' is displayed instead of my much better known screen name 'Lilybiri' in the Captivate community. This is not the case for the other participants. I checked my Preferences, and they seem to be correct: screen name visible to everyone, not real name.

Can you help me out?

Lieve Weymeis AKA Lilybiri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 04, 2014 May 04, 2014

When you're logged in - YOU see your real name.

Everyone else always sees your screen name.

No it doesn't make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2014 May 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I was just curious,,,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Macintosh Mavericks OS (X.9.3)

It’s a piece of cake. see this movie :Accents.mp4 - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are any number of reasons why people might choose to preserve their privacy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eboda User wrote:

There are any number of reasons why people might choose to preserve their privacy.

Yes, and there are even more people who abuse communications portals if they feel they're anonymous and there are no consequences to being ridiculously nasty - that's what I'm saying.  My opinion is not idly formed; I've been around longer than the Internet..

Unfortunately, communications online are not getting more polite or respectful in the modern age.

Perhaps people need an incentive to interact online as they would in person, as though the recipient of their venom was standing in front of them and could poke them in the eye as needed.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been around longer than the Internet too.  You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree with you. I don't like nasty people, but I try not to abuse anonymity online myself by not making personal attacks.  But if I can't get a response from a company I'll do what I need to be heard. 

Although one very rude user in this forum thinks I'm mistaken that companies don't care care about complaints, sometimes they do.  And again, my complaints are about things that really should not have happened, basic issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

When you're logged in - YOU see your real name.

Everyone else always sees your screen name.

No it doesn't make any sense.

OH No! They ripped of a Dumb idea Microsoft Answers forum Just instituted several Days ago so in a Thread on the topic Who is You? Not one Good comment about it. Most think it is silly  to dumb idea. That was dreamed up by someone that had nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs and wanted something to do.  Considering all the negative Comments MS is considering reverting back to way it was before in the next update cycle. At least MS does listen to it users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The originator of this confusion must have thought it would be a good idea to remind users that the forum administrators know who they really are, just to keep them sort of in line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, someone fully intent on not seeing his/her real name ever can simply create a free email account with Gmail, Yahoo or the like and create a new Adobe account with that email address.  It doesn't have to contain information about any licensed products for Adobe to accept it.  The user name for the forums can then be added later, and neither account will have a "real name" associated with it.

Just to expose the futility of this type of "innovation".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two wrote:

The originator of this confusion must have thought it would be a good idea to remind users

I thought you would complete the sentence by saying: ".... who they are."

The originator of this confusion must have thought it would be a good idea to remind users who they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

Considering all the negative Comments MS is considering reverting back to way it was before in the next update cycle. At least MS does listen to it users.

I'm impressed!  I've never known Microsoft to listen to its users.  Ever.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far a Products go they are just like everyone else. But for support The Answers Forums they do seem to listen to the users of the answers Forums.  They have a forum for Community  and anything Posted there is usually taken seriously. Although Moderators post there, regular users do as well. Usually the mix is about 45% moderators and Regular users make up the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually they just reverted a Couple of days ago. Now instead of seeing you every time you reply to a post, you see your Username as it was a month ago.

On the  answers.Forums if someone institutes a Dumb idea and It gets shot down by Moderator sand Users. they get educated fast, and correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's especially confusing because when you enter a User Name and hit "Save" the system seems not to respond.  You don't receive the confirmation you would on any other website.  I tried making the change on three different browsers because I thought there was a problem.

And don't get me started on the substantive problem that brought me to the forum in the first place, which I've wasted three hours on and about which I've received no satisfaction from Adobe Customer Service.  It's an issue that I should have been able to get an answer to in five minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to change the screen name? I put in one thing, then it autofilled with something I didn't want.  Why can't the forum account be deleted, so I can redo it? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen name and real names are set via your AdobeID account preferences page on the main adobe.com website, it can't be controlled from within the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instructions for changing your name, email address, or password: How do I change my name or screen name or password?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2014 Jun 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went in to do this.  I cannot save if I don't have my real name.  Even though I have a Nickname (which states will be used for all Adobe communities) my nickname never shows up, only my real name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2014 Jun 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to stop it from showing my real name until I signed out and back in two times. Maybe that will help you, too?

Thank you for your help, you who gave it, and any apologies offered are accepted. I do, however, think the thread should either be left open or amalgamated with the other (similar) one that someone mentioned; otherwise it may come back in a new thread each time someone is alarmed. Keeping it should now answer any newbs' questions.

People just have to understand, though, that some people have been stalked, either on- or offline, and they do, and will, become alarmed at their name being there for everyone and their brother to see.

PS: OK. now it is again showing me my "real name", or rather it is showing the fake name that I changed it to after getting alarmed at seeing my real name, but I will take people's word that my username is being shown to others. Adobe really needs to fix this glitch, though. They also need to fix the glitch in their preferences widget, the one where users are allowed to see what others see, because according to their widget everyone can see your real name. I wouldn't be surprised if one day someone who has been stalked tries to sue Adobe for mental distress over these shocks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2014 Jun 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The view from here...

WhatsBeingSeen.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Noel. It was my profile that Adobe's widget indicated showed "Everyone" my real name. Apologies for not being clear about it. In any case, I do appreciate you alleviating my ignorance on how I am being shown here in the forums. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Noel.  I see the nick and not my real name, whew!  When you have family in law enforcement, that's just not what you want to think....alarm over, TYTYTY!

Suzi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed odd behavior.  I had to test, and yes, logged in I see my full name, logged out I see my screen name.

I should see what "everyone" sees logged in or not. I do not want Google picking up each and every thing I post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[scott w] wrote:

…I should see what "everyone" sees logged in or not. I do not want Google picking up each and every thing I post.

I agree, Scott.

Waiting for Adobe to fix this will be a long wait.  The workaround for now would be to create a free g-mail or yahoo account with a fictitious name and open a new Adobe account.  Adobe does not require a user to actually have a registered product to issue an account.  Your regular account remains in place and totally unaffected, totally unaware of the new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly.  When I Googled this issue to find the thread again, my real name showed up in the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your name as Lilybiri - I assume that is your screen name.

Just tell me - what do you see for my screen name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines