Real name instead of Screen name displayed

Most Valuable Participant ,
May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since the recent change in the UI of these Jive forums, suddenly my real name 'Lieve Weymeis' is displayed instead of my much better known screen name 'Lilybiri' in the Captivate community. This is not the case for the other participants. I checked my Preferences, and they seem to be correct: screen name visible to everyone, not real name.

Can you help me out?

Lieve Weymeis AKA Lilybiri

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Dave_Merchant | Most Valuable Participant

When you're logged in - YOU see your real name.

Everyone else always sees your screen name.

No it doesn't make any sense.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it works correctly now.  I also saw my real name earlier today and my first thought was to check my profile to see if anything else is changed.  Some two years ago, somebody was messing around with my profile until I complained about him.

It works fine now for me but who knows they might change it again.  these forums are still a work in progress and it will take a few days before everything settles down.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH wrote too early.  It does posts real name and so screen name is ignored.  What a stupid idea this is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you see...  I see your name as mytaxsite.co.uk and the op's name as Lilybiri

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very strange, indeed. I was not signed in today, and still did see my real name. Thanks for letting me know that you are seeing my screenname.

Apparenltly all previous mail settings are lost as well, I don't get any mail from any forum at this moment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I think anything that encourages people to use their real names fosters more polite, higher quality conversation.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many legitimate reasons for a user not to use their legal name in a public forum, so the screen-name system is very important. Your forum accounts are tied to an AdobeID, which if you're a customer has to hold your real name as that's the entity who is granted product licenses. Some social media sites tried to force people to use real names, and were rightfully punished for it by a mass backlash of stupid entries. We don't care what you want to call yourself in the forums (provided it's not abusive, explicit or breaks the formatting).

In the new forums, even we can't see your real name - just your screen name and email address.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

...a mass backlash of stupid...

My point exactly.  Thank you.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

OH No! They ripped of a Dumb idea Microsoft Answers forum Just instituted several Days ago so in a Thread on the topic Who is You? Not one Good comment about it. Most think it is silly  to dumb idea. That was dreamed up by someone that had nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs and wanted something to do.  Considering all the negative Comments MS is considering reverting back to way it was before in the next update cycle. At least MS does listen to it users.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The originator of this confusion must have thought it would be a good idea to remind users that the forum administrators know who they really are, just to keep them sort of in line.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, someone fully intent on not seeing his/her real name ever can simply create a free email account with Gmail, Yahoo or the like and create a new Adobe account with that email address.  It doesn't have to contain information about any licensed products for Adobe to accept it.  The user name for the forums can then be added later, and neither account will have a "real name" associated with it.

Just to expose the futility of this type of "innovation".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

Considering all the negative Comments MS is considering reverting back to way it was before in the next update cycle. At least MS does listen to it users.

I'm impressed!  I've never known Microsoft to listen to its users.  Ever.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far a Products go they are just like everyone else. But for support The Answers Forums they do seem to listen to the users of the answers Forums.  They have a forum for Community  and anything Posted there is usually taken seriously. Although Moderators post there, regular users do as well. Usually the mix is about 45% moderators and Regular users make up the rest.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two wrote:

The originator of this confusion must have thought it would be a good idea to remind users

I thought you would complete the sentence by saying: ".... who they are."

The originator of this confusion must have thought it would be a good idea to remind users who they are.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri wrote:

That is very strange, indeed. I was not signed in today, and still did see my real name. Thanks for letting me know that you are seeing my screenname.

@Lilybiri – Hmm, Now I'm not signed in and can see my real name. Not everywhere, but in the People section.

Personally, that doesn't matter much to me in this case, but I think other people could think very different.

ICanSeeMyselfDespiteNOTLoggedIn.png

Or does the site set a session cookie and I could be recognized and my real name is shown because of that?

No. It cannot be. Used a different browser and can see the same.

It might be something totally different, of course 😉

One cannot escape oneself 😉

Ah. Miracle solved. On this screenshot above the website is showing "Sign In". But for a different forum, eg. the InDesign Scripting Forum, I'm logged in. So with this new Jive 7 software you cannot be sure by sight, if you are logged in or logged out.

Hm, hm, but why then does the role-over with my real name screw up my status and showing 0 points?

Something between? Logged In vs Logged Out ???

This Jive7 software is very, very weird…

Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm not signed in and can see my real name. Not everywhere, but in the People section.

I only see this in your profile (which happens to be your screen name AFAIKS):

2014-05-13_1729.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. My screen name in the past was simply "Laubender", not "Uwe Laubender" as the profile in the left lower corner indicates and before Jive7 took over. But, hey, that's fine now (at least for me)…

Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here the "proof":

ScreenNameLaubender.png

Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe - that's because you had set your privacy options to Real Name visible to = Everyone. I've reset it for you, and now you're just 'Laubender' on your posts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant,

Let me give credit where credit is due.  You are an exceptional MVP and without a doubt one of the most helpful contributor to these forums.  I'm sure Uwe appreciates you too,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dave – thank you very much. Must have done it while playing around with the controls? And forgot abour it?!

Shame on me…

Ok, next time you see me under my full name it will be deliberate…

Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trouble is Noel, everybody isn't as honest as you and I.

I always think it is wise to try and confuse would be hackers as best we can rather than give them information on a plate as it were.

take for instance the news this week regarding Ebay and the problems that came from the hacking of Internet Explorer.  These cases may not relate but it proves that we have to be on guard all of time and make sure that we remain as secure as possible.

These are the full names I can see besides yours (and mine) of course:

Pat Willener

Dave Merchant

Phillip Jones

I have no idea if this is your (the names involved) intention but at least it gives you the information if you need to deal with it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about myself (not in this thread)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see Claudio Gonzalez

I can't type the "a" with a an accent easily - sorry!

What did you think it was showing as?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I was just curious,,,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Macintosh Mavericks OS (X.9.3)

It’s a piece of cake. see this movie :Accents.mp4 - Google Drive

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I might have set my privacy options to Real Name visible to = Everyone. How do I find this to reset it?  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to change the screen name? I put in one thing, then it autofilled with something I didn't want.  Why can't the forum account be deleted, so I can redo it? Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen name and real names are set via your AdobeID account preferences page on the main adobe.com website, it can't be controlled from within the forums.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instructions for changing your name, email address, or password: How do I change my name or screen name or password?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went in to do this.  I cannot save if I don't have my real name.  Even though I have a Nickname (which states will be used for all Adobe communities) my nickname never shows up, only my real name.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to stop it from showing my real name until I signed out and back in two times. Maybe that will help you, too?

Thank you for your help, you who gave it, and any apologies offered are accepted. I do, however, think the thread should either be left open or amalgamated with the other (similar) one that someone mentioned; otherwise it may come back in a new thread each time someone is alarmed. Keeping it should now answer any newbs' questions.

People just have to understand, though, that some people have been stalked, either on- or offline, and they do, and will, become alarmed at their name being there for everyone and their brother to see.

PS: OK. now it is again showing me my "real name", or rather it is showing the fake name that I changed it to after getting alarmed at seeing my real name, but I will take people's word that my username is being shown to others. Adobe really needs to fix this glitch, though. They also need to fix the glitch in their preferences widget, the one where users are allowed to see what others see, because according to their widget everyone can see your real name. I wouldn't be surprised if one day someone who has been stalked tries to sue Adobe for mental distress over these shocks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The view from here...

WhatsBeingSeen.png

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Noel. It was my profile that Adobe's widget indicated showed "Everyone" my real name. Apologies for not being clear about it. In any case, I do appreciate you alleviating my ignorance on how I am being shown here in the forums. Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Noel.  I see the nick and not my real name, whew!  When you have family in law enforcement, that's just not what you want to think....alarm over, TYTYTY!

Suzi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed odd behavior.  I had to test, and yes, logged in I see my full name, logged out I see my screen name.

I should see what "everyone" sees logged in or not. I do not want Google picking up each and every thing I post.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[scott w] wrote:

…I should see what "everyone" sees logged in or not. I do not want Google picking up each and every thing I post.

I agree, Scott.

Waiting for Adobe to fix this will be a long wait.  The workaround for now would be to create a free g-mail or yahoo account with a fictitious name and open a new Adobe account.  Adobe does not require a user to actually have a registered product to issue an account.  Your regular account remains in place and totally unaffected, totally unaware of the new one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly.  When I Googled this issue to find the thread again, my real name showed up in the results.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your name as Lilybiri - I assume that is your screen name.

Just tell me - what do you see for my screen name?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see Barney48. It was just so confusing in the beginning, because I do see my real name.

All changes are not all for the best, more often then not I am unable to access my mailbox with PM for the moment. Very frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone please tell me how my name is displaying?  And btw, this is an idiotic idea.  It also was a stupid idea for the real name to be used as the default in the forum without warning the user.  There are so many instances in which Adobe fails to think things through.  For the last several months I've been trying to remove Adobe Photo Express and Revel yet no one seems to be able to tell me how to do that, including Adobe today.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eboda user wrote:

Could someone please tell me how my name is displaying?

Have you read any of the posts in this thread? It's been explained. There are pictures even.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no reason to have confidence in Adobe right now.  I requested, and received, independent confirmation.  And I repeat:  Setting it up like this is idiotic.  You always give the user the option of seeing if the change went through.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your name is displaying as "eboda user."  I agree this is confusing.  In a previous question above, my real name is displaying instead of my screen name.  Another user told me my screen name is displaying, though, so maybe I just see my real name on my computer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only you see your real name ON ANY COMPUTER if you are logged in to the forums.

Screen shot 2014-06-12 at 2.43.52 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming that.  I don't know of any site that doe this without giving you the option of seeing how others see your posting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eboda  User, these forums are primarily designed to be viewed through a web browser using the Adobe web site.  Everybody can see everyone else's posts.  No need to describe your posts and replies.

Among the disadvantage of accessing the forums through email are the fact that you don't see any edits to any post because edits are not broadcast to email users and that you can't embedi images in your posts like I did above.  You cannot attach images or files to emails here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not presume to lecture me on how to complain about issues I shouldn't have to be complaining about in the first place. If anyone in a position of authority at Adobe actually reads these threads I want them to know the reason for my anger.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't get to dictate how I or anyone else replies to your sissy posts, Eboda User.  These are user forums.

You are delusional if you think that anyone at Adobe who cares a d@mn about your interactions with Adobe customer service or tech service will ever read your posts here.  There's no such animal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't get to dictate my response.  As you said, these are user forums.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines