• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SIGNIFICANT forum performance enhancement? ?—Or wishful thinking?

Mentor ,
Jun 13, 2010 Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there some significant change today in the functioning of the forums?

Is the remarkable performance enhancement connected to the Flash Player 10.1.53.64 upgrade today?

Or is it all a delusion or wishful thinking on my part?

I had not seen this kind of performance since the Web Crossing days.

Mac 10.4.11 / Firefox 3.6.3 / Flash Player 10.1.53.64

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no noticeable change in the downloading times of pages of this site here and now. There was an increase in speed to about double several weeks ago, which I timed and reported here

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2778723#2778723

Times are roughly between 5 and 7 seconds as usual since then. However, although an improvement, these times cannot be compared with those in the fair forums, of well less than a second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No improvement noticed here either.

Same old jive.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it became gradually slower as the day progressed, back to 5 to 7 seconds to open a new page.  However speed is picking up again now.

When I started the thread it was as fast as 2 to 3 seconds per page, which I hadn't seen since the Web Crossing days, but short of the near-instantaneous response of the Web Crossing forums at their best, when it was well under one second, to the point of not even giving the progress bar enough time to draw.  It was just like changing channels on a TV back then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very slow now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote:

I would say wishful thinking on your part.  Forums will never be able to compete with NNTP technology.  All the companies that are resorting to forum based support services are taking a step backwards in life and sooner somebody like you or me start an independent NNTP support service for Adobe and Microsoft products, the better it would be!

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction:

Right now, time to download pages has increased from the normal 5-7 seconds to more than 20 seconds. This makes visiting the forums a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New corre

ction:

Now it was 7 seconds for the list of topics to appear, plus more than 5 minutes dowloading images...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be back to normal now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote on 6/14/2010 8:23 AM:

Was there some significant change today in the functioning of the forums?

Is the remarkable performance enhancement connected to the Flash Player 10.1.53.64 upgrade today?

Whatever performance differences you may be experiencing are not caused

by changes on the forums platform. I don't think I have ever seen a

detailed report of performance issues from you, so perhaps now is the

time to establish a baseline to compare against if the bad performance

returns. See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/481223 for instructions on

how to generate a detailed performance report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

Whatever performance differences you may be experiencing are not caused

by changes on the forums platform…

Thank you; that answers my original question to my full satisfaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2010 Jun 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen no noticeable improvement, though I do access via a wireless-G network, so I could well be missing things that others might be seeing.

Hunt

PS - at least I have not had any major slow-downs, or forum crashes, so I am a happy camper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2010 Jun 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it was wishful thinking on my part, that all was going well, though not any quicker for me.

As of about 6:30 AM (PDT), on Monday, June 21, 2010, the fora have slowed to a crawl. It is now taking 1 - 3 mins. to post a reply, and often 5 mins. to get the Insert Link dialog screen. I am also getting Logged-out about every 10 mins. Kind of hard to offer users any solutions, with this happening.

Not sure if it's just server issues with Adobe, or something else, but other sites show no signs of a slowdown, and are working fine for me.

Using Google Chrome on a PC.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same results as you this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No issues with speed at this time. Using mozilla SeaMonkey on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After about 2 - 3 hours, things seem to be back to normal - at least until they stop being back to normal.

The Page Not Found, the log-outs, and the very, very slow opening, or posting, seem to have stopped. Maybe the gerbil in the wheel, that powers the servers was feeling puny this AM?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Google Chrome and I've found the forums are faster than ever today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting download times in the 3-4 seconds range in

Safari and Explorer under Win 7. This is faster than

the shortest times I had ever experienced in these new forums, of ab

out 5 seconds.

Extra line breaks kindly provided by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am envious of you folk, but still it could well be my wireless G network, but my issues earlier today (June 21, 2010) do seem to have abated.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Belkin Wireless-N Router which is upstairs and my Kitchen where my laptop is , is down Stairs. I also have an Apple Express Wireless Router (B) also upstairs. I use it for my printer.  Either one I have no problem with. I don't have OX.5 so I have no way of testing Chrome. But the seven different Browsers I do use have no problems.

Message was edited by: Phillip Jones Misspellings, sentence construction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, whatever is going on...it has to be something between 8:00a-10:00a CST. Same thing is happening to me today. I logged in here at 8:00, been logged out 4 times already and 1 no page load.

EDIT=make that 5 log outs. Happened again as soon as I posted this.

SO, WHAT'S THE ETA ON THE FIX?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have to log-in on every page now. Far worst than earlier. This is June 22, 2010, 7:00AM PDT.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wearing my keyboard out trying to log in then being booted back out. Then when I do get to post and hit enter I get a page telling me I can't post a blank message? lol

It's all jived up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also like how, when one does get logged-in, it is often back to the main Adobe forum page, so one has to navigate back to the chosen forum, find the thread, and try again. Might get lucky.

I have been editing my reply, Select All, Copy, and then if I can get to that "You can't post a blank... " just hitting Paste and very, very quickly, Post Reply, and sometimes it works, but on others, I have to start all over again.

With the constant logging-in, it's tough to even read the fora, as one does not know what has been seen (unless they have an excellent memory), so constantly logging-in is required, and then usually that navigation BACK to the particular forum.

Guess that we got a bit of a preview of how bad things were about to get, earlier. That was nothing. This is impossible.

Well, off to Select All, and Copy, 'cause I know what's going to happen,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines