• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Is Adobe discriminating their buyers?

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm in process of opening a small video production studio. Wanting to make everything legal, I went to check prices of Adobe software.

Here in Croatia, where I'm located, Adobe Production Premium 5.5 is priced at 15.000 Kuna, which is cca. $3.000.

Then I checked Adobe online store and found same package at price of $1.700. But when I wanted to buy it, it was available only to US.

So, can anyone explain me why I have to pay almost double the price for same piece of software? And why isn't it available online for me to buy at $1.700?

As I found out by little research, average salary in US in 2010/2011. is around $70.000 which comes out around $5.800 a month.

Do you know what is average monthly salary in Croatia? Aprox. 5.500 Kn which is $1.000.

So, while someone in US can buy three Adobe packages in one month, I have to work three months to buy one.

Also, when I contacted our BSA and asked if I could buy software in US, import it and pay taxes for it, they said "No!".

And that "No!" is because Adobe decided to put “Only for distribution in North America” on bottom of their US boxes so that software is not legal in Croatia.

Same piece of code, same DVD, same box. But because of that sign on bottom of the box, I have to pay double the price.

I find that unfair. And I find hard to start any bussines with expenses I meet before I even start my own bussines.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can even imagine Adobe selling me a German-language version of Photoshop directly here in the USA.  What if I had a German relative who speaks little English (yup, I have some of those too ) come to live with me in the USA?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Five consecutive posts? Could you maybe condense them into one [or two], next time?

Again, my understanding of pricing is that it is really "what the market will bear" and not really the cost of doing business as a global company. YMMV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

Five consecutive posts?

Yes, five!  Wow, you can actually count, Hawkinson!    Wonder of wonders! 

John Hawkinson wrote:

…Could you maybe condense them into one [or two], next time?…

I suppose I could, but I most likely won't.    Makes no difference to those of us using the web interface anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it helps in knowing for sure whom is the poster answering to, and to which of his/her coments...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Hawkinson uses email to read the forums, he may not even be aware that any edits made to the posts are never seen by the email readers, as edits are never sent out or broadcast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

…Again, my understanding of pricing is that it is really "what the market will bear" and not really the cost of doing business as a global company…

Again, you're wrong.  If that were true, Adobe products would be priced considerably lower in Croatia than in the USA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote:

John Hawkinson wrote:

…Again, my understanding of pricing is that it is really "what the market will bear" and not really the cost of doing business as a global company…

Again, you're wrong.  If that were true, Adobe products would be priced considerably lower in Croatia than in the USA.

You sure about that?

As long as the pricing is what folks consider to be high and folks in Croatia are still buying them, doesn't that mean the market in Croatia is indeed bearing the price? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Perhaps if folks voted with their wallets and decided not to purchase, things might change? Just thinking out loud... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

You sure about that?…

Of course I am; I always am! 

Captiv8r wrote:

…As long as the pricing is what folks consider to be high and folks in Croatia are still buying them…

Ah, but in ridiculously low numbers when it comes to legitimate copies of the software.  Pirated, hacked versions from China don't count.

Captiv8r wrote:

…Maybe I'm misunderstanding…

I think you are. 

Just look at what has happened to the value of the Adobe corporation in the last five years. It has lost more than one fourth of its value:

ADBE_stock.jpg

Now comp[are that to Apple's stock during the same period.  It's up by practically 360%:

AAPL_stock.jpg

I don't think the Adobe bean counters get it.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I don't think comparing Adobe to Apple is a good comparison. Especially when discussing artificially high pricing. One only has to look at Apple laptops and see that they are artificially high. I can usually purchase two to three PC laptops for what a single Apple costs. Seeing the same thing with iPads.

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

LOL, I don't think comparing Adobe to Apple is a good comparison…

Laugh all you want to amuse yourself, Rick; I'm used to your exemplary overall cluelessness by now.  The Adobe vs. Apple comparison is totally pertinent and valid when it comes to weighing what the bean counters in each corporation understand and what they don't.

Adobe is highly vulnerable to piracy in a way Apple is not.  Apple takes care of its customers; Adobe sees them as adversaries.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

I can usually purchase two to three PC laptops for what a single Apple costs. Seeing the same thing with iPads.

Rick

Well, if I had the money, I could most probably purchase three fully equipped Fords for what the cheapest Rolls Royce costs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Captiv8r wrote:

I can usually purchase two to three PC laptops for what a single Apple costs. Seeing the same thing with iPads.

Rick

Well, if I had the money, I could most probably purchase three fully equipped Fords for what the cheapest Rolls Royce costs...

But ... All three of those fords would be long wore out and in the Junk yard before that Rolls Royce. Unless something has Changed Roll Royces are hand built. And inspected more for quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

…I can usually purchase two to three PC laptops for what a single Apple costs…

…and I wouldn't pay one third of the price of the Apple for a PC laptop.  I do have a Windoze Toshiba laptop, but I bought it only because it was considerably less than one fourth the price of my MacBook.  I take the Toshiba with me to places where there's a high risk of theft. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See?  Flame wars are alive and well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote:

See?  Flame wars are alive and well. 

Yep!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Tai Lao wrote:

John Hawkinson wrote:

You sure about that?

As long as the pricing is what folks consider to be high and folks in Croatia are still buying them, doesn't that mean the market in Croatia is indeed bearing the price? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Perhaps if folks voted with their wallets and decided not to purchase, things might change? Just thinking out loud... Rick

With that pricing policy, Adobe cannot complain if the number of people owning legitimate copies of their software is ridiculously small in the poorer contries. And people in the wealthier countries shouldn't scorn those in the poorer ones who avoid using pirated software by continue using their legitimate copies of Pagemaker many years after its official death simply because they cannot afford to upgrade to InDesign, as they are so lightly recommended to do. Or even to renew their venerable machines, for that matter.

Having to live in an underdeveloped country for a couple of years, surviving on local salaries only, could perhaps change the perspective of many of those for whom everything looks so easy from where they are...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

…Perhaps if folks voted with their wallets and decided not to purchase…

Ah, but they do!  Both customers and investors are folks who do vote with their wallets

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote:

Captiv8r wrote:

…Perhaps if folks voted with their wallets and decided not to purchase…

Ah, but they do!  Both customers and investors are folks who do vote with their wallets

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Tai, it would seem that he thinks that software piracy is so widespread in the poorest countries just because people in there are all corrupt by birth...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, Claudio.  Of all the boorish Community Experts that were thrust upon the scene after the Jive change, this yokel has always struck me as one of the least palatable ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh well. At least this "unpalatable yokel" doesn't feel the need to resort to personal insults and/or flaming to make himself feel better.

However, he does think it could be worthwhile to once again visit the forum etiquitte page and re-familiarize with the overall spirit and guidelines intended to keep the forums a friendly place? (yes, I do honestly believe it also applies to this forum!)

Here's a handy little link if you would like to read it:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414764

Have a nice day! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concede my post #43 could have been a private message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, Tai.

I thought they had switched to downloads only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Jacob, they haven't:

no.jpg

But if they had, it would be even harder to understand the minimum 50% overcharge for purchases from outside the USA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

No, Jacob, they haven't:

no.jpg

But if they had, it would be even harder to understand the minimum 50% overcharge for purchases from outside the USA.

Precisely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Ah, Tai.

I thought they had switched to downloads only.

Jacob, I know literally hundreds of people like me who would never, ever buy any software that is only available as a download.

Freeware is fine, but commercial software without physical media is in no way acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines