• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Connect 8 - poor quality video, glacially-slow support

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monday I upgraded our Adobe Connect server from version 7.5 to the new version 8. This new version at the highest quality settings displays video at 640x480, which was considered high-resolution back when Quicktime was released in 1991, but nowadays that's pretty low-resolution considering the plethora of 1080p tv's on the market and computer monitors going over 2560x1600. We had better performance for sharing video under the Adobe Connect 8 preview than under the final version, and I'm wondering why there's no granular control over user roles (participant, presenter, host) in relation to video quality settings.

I've called Adobe Enterprise Support on multiple occasions the past 3 days, and nobody there has been able to answer our questions regarding the limited quality of videoconferencing through Adobe Connect. They keep saying that they'll call me back but it's clear that 1) they don't have an answer and 2) my call doesn't strike them as being an important complaint. We're an enterprise customer who has spent well over $50,000 on this product for licensing up to 50 rooms hosted on our own server. So obviously, this is an important issue that we want resolved quickly, not slowly.

We used to use a third-party utility called Master Video Control  - http://ed-apps.com/ - which would allow the host to set the quality of video feeds granularly (as per in my first paragraph).

master video control.jpg

This tool is broken by the upgrade to version 8, and frankly, if this capability were built into version 8, we wouldn't need a third party tool. There's no reason for Adobe to not add this functionality into their base product. The fact that Standard and High settings look identical (640x480) makes it difficult to understand what the difference is between the two settings.

connect 8 video settings.png

Does anyone from Adobe answer questions on these forums? That's my hope.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2011 Feb 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video in Connect 8 was vastly improved in terms of frames per second.  It is now at 20 fps versus 10 for previous versions.  You can change that rate to improve quality by altering the settings in the underling FMS server xml settings.

There is a balance here in terms of video quality and large bandwidth requirements.  When you have 500 attendees on a server simultaneously and video at high resolution you would see huge bandwidth issues so this is something that has to be managed.

If you want to discuss this with me, please send me a note to hdrummon@adobe.com.  I'll see what I can get to you to help you increase the video.  Right now the maximum is 480P resolution.  A future version will go higher than that I believe.

That control panel was developed by a partner using ActionScript 2.  It is up to the partner to re-create that utility using AS3 so it can be used properly in Connect 8.  Connect 8 was completely changed using Flex and AS3 which means all pods have to be updated. There are lots of advantages to this change including massive improvement in speed of the experience and elimination of a lot of scripting. It is change though and the partners are working to update their pods accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2011 Feb 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See this posted on the Master Video Control website:

AN IMPORTANT NOTE ON CONNECT 8: MVC 3 will NOT work with Adobe Connect 8. A rewritten version 4 intended for Connect 8 will be released shortly. Those who have purchased MVC3 within the past 3 months will not have to pay the nominal upgrade fee.

Please communicate with the partner your desire to have an updated version:
Please understand that Adobe uses partners to add value to Adobe Connect.  Adobe Connect is a collaboration platform that allows third party development opportunities.  These partners all have different development cycles and when new versions of Connect are released they need to wait until Adobe releases the final version before they can begin final development of their solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines