• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC Library: Not doing what I expected - colors, object styles, etc.

Advocate ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be missing something about the libraries, but I can't seem to get it to save anything useful that has styles or adjustments applied.

Example 1

I have a square filled with green. The green is screened back to 20%.

I can only save the color to a CC Library at 100%.

Example 2

I have a text frame set up as a green square with a blue outline and the bottom right corner is rounded through an object style.

When I save to the library, all the individual styling elements are saved separately into the library, as well as the original object. (I only need the original object.)

Is there some setting that will save only the object I'm adding, and include all setting as it appears before adding it?

thanks!

TOPICS
Libraries

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you add them to your library? With the + sign or Drag & Drop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried both, but neither works as expected. At least with an object, it also saves the whole object.

I've just discovered that CC Libraries still don't support tints, so that may have something to do with it, for those objects with tints... ?
(Because who in their right mind would want to add a tint to a CC Library?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a global green color and filled an object with 50%

I dragged the object (or you can choose Add Graphic) to a CC library.

You can Alt drag it into a new documen to get the 50% global green added to your document.

Same for the text object, add it as a graphic.

Libraries are not very reliable with colors unless they are added as part of an object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - yeah, I want to be able to do it with just colors, but I'm thinking I'll have to save a collection of swatches instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this helps:

Global colors, gradients, brushes and pattern swatches are not supported in CC libraries.

But as a workaround you can drag an object using a brush/pattern/gradient/global color to the CC Library 

You can also drag multiple items using different brushes/patterns/gradients/global/spot colors together into a CC library to simulate a library. Text objects must be grouped before adding them as graphics.

The easiest way to add them to a new document is to hold down the Alt key when you drag them from the library and place them in a new document. The patterns/gradients/global colors automatically get added to your swatches panel.

You can hit escape before you click to place the object(s) or delete the dragged library items because the swatches and brushes are now part of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@turner111 

are you working in ps or ai?

are you unable to move a saved file (AI, PNG, BMP, PSD, SVG, GIF, JPG, TIF, and PDF) to a cc library?

when you use the add content button (or drag and drop), are you being prompted for the asset type (colors, themes etc), and if so, what are you selecting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign.

Not being prompted for anything, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem with adding colors to a library is that they are not color managed, they are just numbers without a profile and will look different in documents with different profiles. Objects filled with a color have a profile attached and are color managed.

Pantone colors added from InDesign become Magenta global process colors when double clicked in Illustrator to add them to swatches. Only objects filled with a color will keep the properties of the color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines