• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Cloud Updates / Files Folder Location Change Bug

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a major bone to pick with the CC app. The software updates work fine. It's the actual CC app updates that are causing my company A LOT of grief and loss of time/productivity/money.main computer that houses the files being shared is using an external hard drive (S) to save all of the files on. Whenever there is a mandatory CC app update it fixes everything BUT changes the location of the files in the preferences menu back to the default drive (C). This caues all of the other computers that are linked to re-sync ALL of the files. On average that is about 14,000 files which takes about 10 - 19 hours depending on the computer and the internet connection. 

This has happened at least twice now. I can't be the only person this has happened to and thinks it's unacceptable. I've found a couple of posts in the forum but there were no answers from anyone at Adobe.

My questions are

1. Is there a way to avoid the preferences from switching the saved files location back to the default drive after an update?
2. Is a development team looking to this issue at all so that it can be fixed on a future update?

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

With the recent update of the Creative Cloud Desktop app (1.9.1.474) we unfortunately introduced a bug which causes the creation of a new Creative Cloud Files folder, and re-sync of all content. This will only occur the first time the sync application runs after the update. This has caused understandable pain and confusion, for which we truly apologise.

The Creative Cloud Files app contains logic that supports the use of multiple Adobe IDs. This allows you to sign out of one ID and in to another

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2015 Apr 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this related post - Why do I have 3 'Creative Cloud Files' folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the recent update of the Creative Cloud Desktop app (1.9.1.474) we unfortunately introduced a bug which causes the creation of a new Creative Cloud Files folder, and re-sync of all content. This will only occur the first time the sync application runs after the update. This has caused understandable pain and confusion, for which we truly apologise.

The Creative Cloud Files app contains logic that supports the use of multiple Adobe IDs. This allows you to sign out of one ID and in to another, but keeps your Creative Cloud content separate. When you sign out and change IDs, the app moves the previous Creative Cloud Files folder and it's contents and appends it with the previously signed in ID (User@AdobeID). It then creates a new main folder and starts to sync content of the new ID.

The bug which I mentioned previously occurs, as the app believes an ID switch has taken place and as such, moves the current Creative Cloud Files folder and tries to append the previously signed in ID. As no switch has actually taken place it manifests as (Unknown).  The app then creates a new main folder at syncs down the data.

Essentially what you end up with is a Creative Cloud Files folder with your newly sync'd data and a Creative Cloud Files (Unknown) folder that contains duplicate data.

This occurs once, after the last update completes.

The fix is to simply delete the Creative Cloud Files (Unknown) folder.

I would advise that you ensure you have no pending edits that you may have made offline and that you check the contents of the new, main Creative Cloud Files folder contains everything you expect it to.  If not, check the contents of the Creative Cloud Files (Unknown) folder.

If there is still a discrepancy with your data, you can check on creative.adobe.com to confirm your data is there.

If you have any further problems or questions about this particular issue please email syncforum-communication@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

this particular issue is a one time occurrence and we have taken steps to improve quality in this area.

Currently we do not support having the Creative Cloud Files folder on an external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 14, 2015 Jun 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi derekajack,

By external drive, do you mean a drive other than the one on which the OS is installed on, or an actual external USB or similar drive?

Thanks,

Eli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eli,

Drive other than the one which the OS is installed.

Thanks,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking on any OS?

It's funny because, I didn't know that (until I read your post earlier today), so I set up CC to point to an internal HD which is not the one with the OS (OS X 10.9.5).

As a matter of fact, it worked flawlessly even with previous versions, as it does now.

True, I had some problems during version updates (multiple CC folders), but after the update is finished and the files gets copied to the new folder everything works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm mistaken, I'll do some checking and confirm. Glad to here is working for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave, buddy, this sucks. My OS is installed on a very small SSD drive for faster boot times. Your programs keep filling my drive and using it as a scratch drive. I've got a full unused terabyte that's less than an inch away. This is not an acceptable answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This limitation is incredibly problematic. I can somewhat understand the requirement for the suite to be installed only on the primary drive, though for such a large suite I still think think this is problematic. But then to also restrict data to the primary drive seems to make working with the suite disastrously impossible. Is no one else finding this a major problem? Is there a workaround? Is there someway to control which file are sync'd that I am missing?

Update: found the method for controlling which folders are sync'd. I still maintain that this is a very problematic limitation. I can't use sync'ing to keep up to date with others' work because I don't have enough room on my primary drive.

How to: Choose which Creative Cloud shared folders you sync

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert, did you try to move the data to another drive?

I did this unknowing it wasn't possible, and it works.

I'm on a Mac running OS X 10.9.5

You can set the drive on the CC application preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did two different things. First I set the drive in the CC application. Then I synced. After it finished syncing, the files were all renamed with an underscore character replacing the first letter. Then they vanished and my folders also disappeared from the cloud. I tried again with the same results.

Then I synced to the primary drive and had no problem. As my drive filled up, I tried copying the files directly to the other drive. Strangely, the same thing happened. When copying finished, the files were renamed with the underscore character and then moments later vanished.

I am using Windows 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird, maybe it only works under OS X.

Why on earth, then, do you have the option to set the folder in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on earth, then, do you have the option to set the folder in the first place?

That's what I'm saying too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this a freaking joke!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem since I was forced to create a new user login on Windows 10.

File synchronisation no longer works, Adobe CC says c:\users\my_user_name is unavailable.

I tell it where to create the folder but it doesn't want to know.

As said above why have a folder location parameter if you can't use it.

I thought I could reinstall CC but I can't unless I uninstall all applications.

So for one stupid little parameter I will end up spending 3 hours reinstalling everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines